Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Default no options on the insert drop down menu

hello all,

vista and mbox 2...just installed and learning a bit.

in the mixer view when I click the "insert" tab the drop down menu only shows "I/O" and "no insert"

how can i see the instruments, rewire, plug ins, etc.

the only plug ins i can find are the audio suite plugs on the main page

thx
Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Default Re: no options on the insert drop down menu

I'm not at my system currently, but I think this is what you need to do. Go to the "View" menu and scroll to "Mix" window. Make sure the "Inserts" part is checked off. Then, in the Mixer, click on the tab and the drop down menu will appear with all of the plugins (if installed properly, of course).
Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
I'm not at my system currently, but I think this is what you need to do. Go to the "View" menu and scroll to "Mix" window. Make sure the "Inserts" part is checked off. Then, in the Mixer, click on the tab and the drop down menu will appear with all of the plugins (if installed properly, of course).
"inserts" is checked (I actually checked "all") and I still don't get any additional info on the inserts menu.

according to the users manual when i click the insert selector i should see two choices--"plug ins" and "I/O". I only see I/O.

I recently did the optimizations that digi recommends for vista. i didn't look to see if the plugs were there before that or not?? any other suggestions?

thx
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Missing inserts can also be a symptom of a corrupted install. Have you tried re-installing?

Are you installing to the default location on the system drive?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Missing inserts can also be a symptom of a corrupted install. Have you tried re-installing?

Are you installing to the default location on the system drive?
I am installing to the default location. Should I install elsewhere?

Audio Suite plugins are gone now too. I'm thinking this has something to do with the optimization procedure??

Should i do another clean install? If so, do I then have to go back and re-optomize the computer?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterndrup View Post
I am installing to the default location. Should I install elsewhere?
No. Absolutely not, which is why I asked; to make sure you weren't.

Quote:
Audio Suite plugins are gone now too. I'm thinking this has something to do with the optimization procedure??
What "optimization procedure" are you talking about specifically? (as many details as you can give)

Quote:
Should i do another clean install? If so, do I then have to go back and re-optomize the computer?
I think I might know what might be happening here; are you using the Tech Support Utility mentioned in the General Troubleshooting post? If so, I think you may be using it incorrectly.

If not, running item #3 of the Tech Support Utility might actually help troubleshoot your problem.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
No. Absolutely not, which is why I asked; to make sure you weren't.

What "optimization procedure" are you talking about specifically? (as many details as you can give)

I think I might know what might be happening here; are you using the Tech Support Utility mentioned in the General Troubleshooting post? If so, I think you may be using it incorrectly.

If not, running item #3 of the Tech Support Utility might actually help troubleshoot your problem.
the optomization process was
1.Enabling DMA
2. Disabling Network Cards
3. Adjust Power Options
4. Disabling Clear Type Font Smoothing
5. Turn Off User Account Control
6. Adjust Process Scheduling
7. Disable Screen Saver
8. Disable System Start Up Items
9. Display Performance
10. Disable DEP
11. Delete Digi Database Folders for all Vista Hard Drives
12. Delete Protools Preferences files in Vista

Could it be item number 11? Maybe digi was assuming that I was using an external hard drive and had that stuff saved on there. I'm going to but I don't have one yet.

I'm not running the troubleshoot utility, but I could if you think it might help.

I'll wait to here back to see if it may be something in the above list.

thx a ton!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 AM

should i reinstall protools?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 AM

Stern, if you insert the install disc, and try to re-install, there is a "repair" option. Maybe try that?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Could it be item number 11? Maybe digi was assuming that I was using an external hard drive and had that stuff saved on there.
Your installed files would not be on the external anyway; that's for Pro Tools sessions. The files that are "missing" would still be on the system drive.

UNLESS...

You deleted the wrong directory when deleting preferences.

Quote:
I'm not running the troubleshoot utility, but I could if you think it might help.
It would be nice to see what you have in your plug-ins directory.

I still think you should have a go at re-installing. That would be my first step, if I were you.