Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2002, 06:41 PM

Default Newbie can\'t get system running. HELP!

I just purchased what I thought would be an awesome computer to power ProTools, and now I'm not so sure. I am having all sorts of problem running PT and I don't know where I can begin to fix them.

The system I bought has:
Pentium 4, 1.5GB processor
512 MB RAM
40GB HD, plenty fast
SB Live! 5.1 soundcard
Win 98

The probems I'm experiencing:
1. When I play back audio tracks they crackle big time, though the level meters are reading fine. This comes and goes, but once is starts it keeps happening.
2. Skipping to accompany the lovely crackling.
3. The scrolling play bar lags behind the audio being played.

If anyone can shine some light on any of this I would be extremely grateful. My dentist would also appreciated it, as I have spend the last couple hours grinding my teeth in frustration.
Thank you,
Cor
Old 03-10-2002, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Newbie can\'t get system running. HELP!

In PT, select setups and hardware, set the sample rate to 48000. The 44100 sample rate won't work with SBLive sound cards since they sample at 48000. It will change your timing and pitch on the tracks. To get around that, start a new session and import the old tracks into it. It should convert the sample rate without changing the tempo and pitch. I hope this helps.

geetarbill
Old 03-10-2002, 10:36 AM

Another thing- PT Free requires a lot of buffer samples (even on a machine that'd run LE on just 128)I had to run about 1,000 to 2,000 buffer samples (forgot what the exact #'s are).
When you're on the edge of buffer underrun you'll sometimes get the sound breakup.

If you get the sample rates straightened out and it's still happening, please repost or e-mail...
Got a good laugh at the 'Lovely Crackling". You've gotta be in radio.
Good luck...
Old 03-12-2002, 11:03 AM

Well, the sample rate seemed to be the cause of my problem. I changed it to 48 and the skipping is virtually gone.
I've got a bigger problem now, I can't record, but I think I'll post it as a separate topic.
Thanks for the help.
-cor