Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-22-2022, 04:20 PM

Default Nuendo 11?

I happened to have a look at the Nuendo page to see what was going on with the software these days and I was pretty amazed what it offers for post
built in to the program.
I'm a long time PT user and don't see myself jumping ship due to compatibility with teams on big projects, but it is a bit of an eye opener to see what we are missing in PT.
To name just a few things: Built in conform and re-conform, ADR recording workflow with streamers etc, Spotting for ADR and Foley, multiple marker lanes, automate-able track routing, automation for pre post sends, Vocalign and phase alignment capability, clip fx with support for 3rd party plugins and quite a lot more.
To be honest I wish I hadn't looked.
Has anybody used it, is it as stable as PT, is the workflow good?
I know I can download a demo, but maybe someone with experience can chime in?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Nuendo 11?

I forgot integral Atmos support and ARA too they are biggies!
Old 01-23-2022, 12:32 AM

Im using Cubase for music composition and Pro Tools for audio post. Cubase have the some ui and workflow that nuendo so switching to it for post will be easy for mr. I must say that I will never abandon PT! Editing audio are much better, faster, routing and mixer are supperior also I prefer gui on PT. With cubase/nuendo you must be prepared that Stainberg will change that every few cubase/nuendo version. For professional work it is pain when you upgrade your software and must learn ui again! I just upgraded PT from hd 12.4 to 2021.12 and I love that ui is almost the same. I also hate automation editing in cubase. Now it looks similar to Pro tools but it is not. Maybe I will abandon cubase for midi editing sometime…New cubase/nuendo will be without dongle so you will be able to check trial.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the info Piotr.
I used to use Cubase years ago and the editing was always a pain.
I agree the strength of PT is its Edit page with everything at the top level.

I was just amazed at what they have incorporated into Nuendo, processes that I've paid a lot of money to third party software companies to get that same functionality in Pro Tools.
It would be great to have those things in PT, but I can imagine what the Music based people would say if a whole release was for re-conforming.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:47 AM

People are asking cargo cult to add MatchBox support for Nuendo.

https://forum.thecargocult.nz/t/add-...-for-nuendo/27

I wonder why...

Old 01-23-2022, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
It would be great to have those things in PT, but I can imagine what the Music based people would say if a whole release was for re-conforming.
So many new features look so good on paper in Steinberg. I was so happy for VCA faders when they was introduced in Cubase years ago. But it was broken! After reloading project VCA faders reset to -inf, or 0 or something, I don't remember. It mess one of my project that I working on. I never use it again and you know what ? They never fix that bug. It is also bug in write automation in loop, that was never fixed. Never! I know that in Nuendo VCA are different, but that was only an example. Steinberg has a lot of new features, some of them are look great, but trust me for post I will never went to them.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
People are asking cargo cult to add MatchBox support for Nuendo.

Hmmm... Thanks Frank, that says a lot.

Quote:
but trust me for post I will never went to them.

I know what you mean Piotr, my PT rig is running super stable these days, I'm just enjoying mixing rather than fighting technical problems.
I hope that Avid looks at Nuendo though and brings some of those things into Pro Tools. Automate-able output routing would be great and obviously multiple marker lanes has been asked for many times. I like the way you can swap out the panner for a plugin too.

I'd still rather it was solid and stripped down than flakey bloatware.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
ADR recording workflow with streamers etc, Spotting for ADR and Foley,
And in addition to a lot of that Steinberg also has it's own solution for remote collaboration which allows you to have talent remotely yet sync local video playback, replace transmitted audio with full-res, have swipes...

In general I think both programs are great, but I really do think Nuendo has the edge objectively speaking. Both programs will have bugs, both will have annoying quirks, both are at the mercy of the hardware they're running on, but generally speaking I'd take Nuendo any day. It just feels that in a full production environment PT is a bit of a bodge with a bunch of associated third-party soft- and hardware added to make it all work. Feels like a bit more of a headache to deal with.

Editing is really "six of one half-a-dozen the other". I get annoyed with PT because I miss my Nuendo, and vice versa. Mixing I prefere Nuendo. VCAs had problems, and there's still one quirk with an easy workaround, but generally much better. For example, I can toggle any automation mode I want with key commands, along with prevew/suspend/punch etc. Control Room is superb to have at your fingertips.

I think PT is great though... just Nuendo has the edge I feel.