How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 AM

Default Installing PT10 on Esata drive

Hi,
I generally use PT10 on my home PC (Windows 7). I am on the road quite a bit for work and have a work laptop which I would start to like to use to do some editing when I am away. Although there is no policy at work that says I can't install other software, I'd rather not have PT10 blatantly on the laptop, and don't want to give any extra headaches to IT.

So my question is, has anyone tried installing PT on an ESATA drive? I've read about people using ESATA for their audio files but not actually installing on the drive. If not one has tried, any conjecture on whether it could work? I don't want to invest in one unless there's a good chance it will do the trick. I'd use a separate USB drive for audio files (since I would assume if the ESATA drive does work, I should still follow the rule of not having PT and audio files on the same drive).

thanks, any advice would help. I could just buy a new laptop I suppose but then would be carrying around two laptops at the airport - doesn't sound like much fun.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Installing PT10 on Esata drive

I doubt there'd be an issue, eSATA is pretty much the same as normal internal SATA. However, keep in mind that installing a program isn't only about where the files are stored. Programs put registry keys and shared DLL's all through your computer too.

Joel
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM

You are supposed to install Pro Tools on the C: drive, and you really need to follow that advice. You could possibly make the eSATA drive bootable and do it that way. But that might need you to purchase another copy of Windows (depends if you can clone the current disk or not and where else you might want to boot/run that drive). You could then record to the internal drive if it's up to spec, and you do not mind having the files on that drive. Seems like a lot of hassle. You sure you cannot just install PT on the work laptop?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM

Installing Pro Tools on other than the system drive has led to problems and is not recommended nor supported.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM

ok thanks all it does sound like a hassle. I think I will just install on the work laptop.