How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2021, 05:22 PM

Default How to Move my PT2018.4 to a New Computer

Hello to all,

Getting a new desktop for the house. I've been using PrTools2018.4 on a Lenovo laptop, 16 gig ram, for awhile, and it's worked fine for an old hobbyist like myself.

Now, I'm gonna have a Dell desktop, 32 or 64 gig ram, not sure which yet, and I'm a little nervous because it's been awhile since my 2018 yearly subscription ended, and I'm a little confused on how to proceed. Am I to just go to my Home page, and then to the download page, find the 2018.4 legacy download and let'er rip, or is there more to do?

I read something about checking my iLOK account? I see it listed on my Avid home page, but there's nothing to do, or is there a website for the iLOK that I'm not remembering. I'm thinking I remember pace.com maybe?

I guess any insights into the steps I need to take would be greatly appreciated.. I'm not adverse to buying a 1 year subscription plan for updates to my perpetual PT 2018 system for the upcoming year..
Old 12-07-2021, 05:39 PM

Default Re: How to Move my PT2018.4 to a New Computer

In principle you download the installer and run it. You are responsible for making sure that the version you are installing is compatible with the Windows version installed on your computer. Which going back to 2018.4 it may not officially be supported. And if you get Windows 11 uh good luck. Current compatibility info is a google search away... https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

And you need to check any third party plugins are also compatible and find their installers.

And you need to make sure you have interface driver installers that are also compatible with your Windows version.

But wait... it's a Windows PC. And likely a consumer model from Dell, so not a good sign since Dell like many vendors fill their systems with crapware/bloatware.So first thing I would do is a full clean install of Windows from a Microsoft installer *not* a Dell installer/recovery). And carefully hand install required drivers etc. That might require you to repurchase a Windows license.

How are you using the iLok today? You have a physical iLok? iLok Cloud Licensing? To view licensing info you log in through the ILM (iLok License Manager) app that is already installed as a part of Pro Tools install... and you should also separately update to the latest after install.

And do you mean subscription plan when you say it, you might mean purchase a license update and support renewal. Don't mess up buying the wrong thing. If you purchase a subscription or a discount upgrade to a subscription the version will stop working altogether unless you keep paying the subscription.

Hopefully the PC is well configured with stuff like a nice fast SSD.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:04 PM

iLOK is cloud based..When I log into the system, it's on the internet.. And that Microsoft reinstall is a great idea.. I'll be on Windows 10 Pro, same as my laptop, so I think I'll be o.k. there, but yeah, adware is a pain.. I remember when I updated from M-Power, I went to 2018 and for a year, I got the updates which brought me to 2018.4. So if I can purchase another yearly support plan, maybe I end up getting updated to 2018.9, or something like that? That's what you were talking about, right? I'm good with that. I know I'm gonna have to deal with third party people, AutoTune, Amplitube, and a couple others, so that could be exciting, but overall, the idea of a fresh install of Microsoft 10 makes good sense. Thanks so much for the help, and Merry Christmas to you..
Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 PM

You need to pay closer attention, official compatibility dependencies are not just "Windows 10 Pro", the Pro (while better) does not factor into anything, but the build versions/release dates do if you look at the table I gave you a link to.

Go buy the Pro Tools reinstatement/update promotion available now (do not buy the subscription unless you are OK with it stopping working when you don't pay). And get updated to 2021.10 and whatever at least comes in the next 12 months. 2018.9? What? Why would you want to be on 2018.x when you could be on 2021.10 or later (any release in the next 12 months)? https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...until-31st-dec. And if you let your update/support plan lapse in future be aware you may not have another option to reinstate.

I personally would not trust my work with iLok cloud... much prefer a physical iLok (we'll I'd prefer licensing not involving iLok at all, but that ain't going to happen), but if it that's what you are using you should just be able to fire up ILM on the new computer and log in there, or if Pro Tools asks you about a login then do it there, I can't remember what actually happens, but there should be nothing more to do than just log in to the right iLok account.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:05 PM

Now meaning until the end of the year, then it's gone.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Now meaning until the end of the year, then it's gone.
The $249 "reinstatement", that is. It gets you license for the latest version, 2021.10 plus updates and support for one year.
I went for it, but I've not activated it yet. If you go for this offer, and buy it thru a reseller, i.e Sweetwater, you get a "redemption code" that you can use when you are ready, it never expires. But this is important: if you buy it on your account at avid.com, the license is activated immediately! You have to buy thru a reseller to get that code for future use. (Added: when you decide to use the code, you get the latest version.)

The license transfer from one machine to another is very simple; you install iLok License Manager on both machines, then deactivate it on one - and activate it on the other.

About iLok Cloud. If you have a reliable internet connection it works. I'm happy with it.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 12-08-2021 at 01:10 AM.