Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-05-2021, 05:03 PM

Default PT does not play coming out of Windows sleep

I don't have PT running when I put Windows 10 to sleep. I repeat, PT is not running. After Windows 10 comes out of sleep, launching PT and loading a session, the session will not play. I get a out of CPU message. Close PT, re-launch PT, everything is fine.

I am a long time Windows PT user with another username here. I tired to reset my password and AVID says it sends the password reset to my main email but I never get it so I created this new profile to report this bug.

I am running a 2016 custom I7 machine I built. I have had lots of success with PT Ultimate and before for many years with few issues. This issue is not a show stopper but annoying that you can not play the transport after launching PT after coming out of sleep mode.

If there is a better way to report this bug, let me know.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:00 PM

Default Re: PT does not play coming out of Windows sleep

Oh come on, if you've been here a while... What interface do you have? Driver version? What exact version of Pro Tools? Exact version of Windows 10? When did this start?

I suspect you might find past reports on DUC about similar behavior.

Are you sure absolutely nothing else has the interface open, including Windows sound?

And what standard troubleshooting have you tried? Trashing prefs? Debugging plugins? Trying a different interface?

Sandra report? Is absolutely everything optimized, including all the bios settings etc.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:48 AM

Primary Avid Optimization: Do not allow the computer to go to sleep.

Another is do not use a screen saver.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-06-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Primary Avid Optimization: Do not allow the computer to go to sleep.

Another is do not use a screen saver.
Ditto ditto

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-07-2021, 10:40 AM

I've been on Windows since the beginning back in the late 90s. I've had Mix +, PTHD, PTHDX 1 and now PT Ultimate. I updated on 11/4 to the latest version at that time 2021.7 or 2021.10. I'm away from that computer but will check when I get home.

I will generate a Sandra report as well.

My interface is PT HD I/O into an HDX card. HDX firmware was updated with the latest version of Ultimate.

ProTools has always launched fine after taking Windows out of sleep for years. I've never had a problem using multiple versions of PT and Windows. I don't use a screen saver. Of course never put Windows to sleep while PT is running. I am well aware of that. The computer should be able to sleep and be woken up all while PT is not running just fine. Something changed in either 2021.7 or 2021.10. It's likely that the next update will fix it.

I am just trying to report the bug, not solve it. It's not worth great time investigating because all you do to fix it is launch PT, quit, re-launch PT and it works fine. 45 seconds of lost time. I'm not going trash prefs and try Windows optimizations to a bug that's not a show stopper. PT on Windows has always worked great for me for years, very stable, very few crashes.

Is there a better way to report a bug than here? I'll try and get the Sandra report tonight. I am only trying to make AVID aware of it.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:42 AM

I'm pretty sure Avid will tell you what we posted. Don't let your computer sleep. If it works for you, great, but I very much doubt they will view it as a "bug".

And I've been on Windows and Pro Tools since 2001.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-07-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevedfc View Post
... ProTools has always launched fine after taking Windows out of sleep for years...
That was then This is now. Don't let it go to sleep.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-07-2021, 11:06 AM

Avid is unlikely to care or spend any time worrying about this. In this case a Sandra report is probably not worth the effort.

If it's annoying you I'd look up past threads to see if folks ever found a solution to that CPU error on initial run problem.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:13 AM

Sleep is not supported, so whether it works or not is up to your lottery.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:57 AM

Basic troubleshooting starts with 2 things; eliminating things that are already recommended system tweaks, and breaking things down to the bare minimum(which is where you are at right now). Troubleshooting is not always obvious and not always natural to everybody. Its nothing to be embarrassed about. Start with taking the advice given and progress from there. Perform all the recommended tweaks and see if it helps. If it does, you are free to restore improper settings if you wish, but you will know exactly what to do if that puts things back to problematic.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave