Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2003, 04:16 PM

Default Can I have pre-Master Fader dynamics, please?

Pre Master Fader Dynamics is a huge necessity for anyone who might consider themselves a professional engineer. Any chance this could happen with Digidesign software?
Old 04-04-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Can I have pre-Master Fader dynamics, please?

Quote:
Originally posted by subby:
Pre Master Fader Dynamics is a huge necessity for anyone who might consider themselves a professional engineer. Any chance this could happen with Digidesign software?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What do you mean by this exactly? If you want L2 or whatever to be pre master, simply buss all your stuff to a stereo AUX, and treat it like your master, by putting the plugs on that. Then buss its output to the regular master if you want. Works for me and is my standard setup.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:55 PM

Tom,

Thanks, but that's what I'm already doing. The point is, I should not have to do any bs'ing at all to put a compressor pre-Master fader as I would any other mixer.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:23 AM

AFAIK... Dithing is the reason for this. It needs to be post-fader to function properly.

I have my PT template set to buss everything to a "master aux" where I'll use my 2-buss plugs. That gets bussed to the master fader where I'll add the dithering.

FWIW: On the HD mixer, the auxes have the same percision and headroom as the master fader.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 07:38 AM

Workarounds. Rubbish!
Old 04-05-2003, 11:51 AM

Extra unnecessary bussing: Wouldn't that degrade the sound of Pro Tools' mixer even more? [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I'm with Subby on this one. Stick a pre/post switch on each of the inserts in the master fader.