Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 12:17 AM

Default Lost fade files?

It seems like i loose fade files if I go back and use a session file, that is a bit older (a different edit maybe) and then return to the most recent one.

I can only repair the problem by "save a copy in.." including all audio and fade files. But that a pain the a.. when my sesssion sometime exceeds 3GB.

Yes - the fade files will regerate, when I start the newest session, but it's still a pain in the a.. with mayby hundres of them missing....

Anyone on this? Digidesign.....designflaw!!!??

Or am I doing something wrong here...

Peter [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
clEAR production.com
Old 05-02-2002, 07:13 AM
Avid

Default Re: Lost fade files?

-With what PT version were the "older" sessions orginally created?

-With what version of PT are you currently using?

Brent
Old 05-02-2002, 08:58 AM

Do you by chance have any buried playlists? Discovered this one the other day, if you have layered playlists with missing fades you will be prompted every time you open that session for missing fade files. So you say SKIP ALL FADES thinking PT will rebuild those levels as well. Not so. Until you pull those layers to the surface PT does not render the fades on those tracks! I was scratching my head for a while with that one.

DIGI, you might consider changing that feature to render ALL fades not just visible ones or remove the "where is..." prompt for non visible layers.

Not sure if that's your problem but perhaps...??

Later,
-Polaris
Old 05-03-2002, 01:01 AM

Digi: I am using 5.1.1 and sessions that are causing trouble WAS created ind 5.1.1

POLARIS: But I think Polaris has the solution. I will test it right away. And return later...

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks in advance...

Peter
Old 05-03-2002, 03:13 AM

Actually I have had similar experiences, but maybe in a different circumstance...
Either way, Digi still needs to address it.

And I think its Protools trying to be helpful but its not.

Heres the scenario:

Session XYZ Original-- a ton of edits for some horrible drummer. Therefore a ton of fades. Hundreds at the least.
Ok, now you're happy with said edits/fades so you decide to consolidate regions to help with bogging down of playback and also for it to look neater. HOWEVER, just to be safe you "save as" a new session before you continue, IN CASE you need to go back and fix a few fades/edits.

So you save as "Session XYZ Post-edits" before you consolidate. Ok, now your ready to consolidate, thinking if need be, you can go back to the Original XYZ Session to re-edit.

NOPE

As soon as you consolidate your million regions and remove unused regions from regions bin (to be neat and less bogged down), when you hit "save" you may notice it takes Protools a few seconds to actually save.

THIS IS PROTOOLS DELETING ALL YOUR FADES. You can see the drive accessing, and you will see the fades from Original Session XYZ GONE from the Fades folder.

This is Protools thinking that because you are consolidating, you dont need your fades anymore so to save space it deletes them. And yes, PT will re-create them if you need to go back to the Original session, but its a TOTAL DRAG if you have a session with 3000 fades. It takes forever and will always be like this, each time you consolidate then re-open the original sessions.

This should be an option to set, not a default setting.

Digi please tell me if my deductions are correct or if i am missing something. But I recently got done editing a major drum sample project where the drums needed to be perfect to the grid. I needed to go back to original edits often and had to wait forever for the fade to be recreated that I never told Protools to delete.

Anyone else out there experience this?
Thanks
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-03-2002, 03:50 AM

MT is correct . The Fade File Folders belongs to ONE session . If you delete Fades in your sessions (by deliting the corresponding regions then the fade files will be deleted also. ) Or if you open an older session with different edits and fades, than since they where not anymore needed in the newer sessions, they have to be rerendered. This normally means also , that the newer fadefiles for the newest session got delete, so if you go back to the new session again, it will again calculate the fades.

Here is the workaround: If you have your session with lots of edits, and you know you might go back to it, then copy your fadefile folder and name it on a way, that you know it belongs to that session. When you open this session ever again, you can "search" the fades in those folders.

Still not the best option, but it can save time on those long sessions.

Hope this helps. Maybe we finally see realtimefades in Protools, so this sh.t is not longer a pain in the a..

daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
Old 05-03-2002, 11:31 AM

Brent!

I’ve been asking about this on the LE section of the DUC too, but I never got an answer.
Admit it. It’s a bad designflaw. Or?
Brent?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:32 PM

Cool! That would be a great addition..

Whenever I get a simple, succinct answer from Tech Suppt, I always feel guilty for the, um, taint of attitude in my post. Dont mean to be like that, but when a topic comes up that caused me to say &$^#@ alot, I kinda vent it out here. Nothing personal tech sppt.

Thanks for your reply
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Avid

Mt. Everest...indeed a great explanation.

We have entered this as a feature request. When you perform a File>Save As, you should see a "Copy Fade Files" button and a "Copy Audio Files" button. That way, you may copy only the fade files and thus, will not have to face this problem.

Brent