Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 05:49 AM

Default Anyone tried this new free sound replacer?

From KVRaudio:

"Boxsounds replacer is designed to replace drum and percussive sounds with other samples. Basically, it is comprised of a band-pass filter which selects the relevant frequency of the sound required to be replaced; the peak amplitudes at this frequency then trigger chosen sample/s. The samples can be 16 or 24-bit PCM Wave files recorded at any sample rate."

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2155.html

It's a VST and therefore would require the VST to RTAS Wrapper. The free version only allows one sample pass - but that's just fine with me considering the price.

Anyone tried this yet? I downloaded it last night but won't get a chance to try it for several days yet. Are there other alternative "sound replacer" programs that are also freeware/shareware? What about "audio to midi" plugs?

I'd like to replace poor sounding kick, snare (is that possible without sounding like poo?), and toms with BFD samples. I have individual mic'ed tracks for each but the drums themselves just sound bad - whether because of bad heads or cheap mics. So far, I've just been doing it by hand with 'tab to transients' and pasting a wav sample. I tried using Beat Detective to create a DigiGroove but I can't figure out how to translate that into a BFD kickdrum midi instrument track.

I know sound replacer is coming with the new toolkit but we still don't have a release date. I'm not so sure I'm going to put down the cash considering I just did the upgrade with the two extra plugs. If it comes down to $400 for sound replacer - which is the only real upgrade I personally need from the new toolkit - I'll just buy drumagog instead. I don't need 48 tracks (yet).
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0