Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2022, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Transitioning from Cheesegrater to Mac Studio: a few questions

Just a quick progress report as I transition from the cheese grater to the Studio. SO glad I opted for 1 1TB drive. After Downloading PT, Logic Final Cut BFD Reason and Sampletank and Arturia Virtual 7 I've already 300GB used. Obviously more storage is better but the jump to 2TB is steep. Long story short, I think 1TB is the minimum you would want to go to if ordering a Studio. In the short term I have numerous 1TB Sata drives and for 30 bucks you can get a USB-c to SATA connector which should be more than fast enough for the projects I am working on. So far I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Next up will be getting all my Waves, Eventide and other plugs up and running. I'm not using migration assistant yet for anything. Once I have a stable system I want to start bringing over all my presets for all my various plugins. I'm in no rush to do this fast. I just want a nice stable platform. Thanks as always to all the wonderful folks on this group. I've been on this group since 2001. Rarely I get to help people even more inept than me, mostly though, I benefit from those more adept than me. Yours in music Brian
Old 09-29-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b mcgibney View Post
Just a quick progress report as I transition from the cheese grater to the Studio. SO glad I opted for 1 1TB drive. After Downloading PT, Logic Final Cut BFD Reason and Sampletank and Arturia Virtual 7 I've already 300GB used. Obviously more storage is better but the jump to 2TB is steep. Long story short, I think 1TB is the minimum you would want to go to if ordering a Studio. In the short term I have numerous 1TB Sata drives and for 30 bucks you can get a USB-c to SATA connector which should be more than fast enough for the projects I am working on. So far I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Next up will be getting all my Waves, Eventide and other plugs up and running. I'm not using migration assistant yet for anything. Once I have a stable system I want to start bringing over all my presets for all my various plugins. I'm in no rush to do this fast. I just want a nice stable platform. Thanks as always to all the wonderful folks on this group. I've been on this group since 2001. Rarely I get to help people even more inept than me, mostly though, I benefit from those more adept than me. Yours in music Brian
Curious which processor you chose and RAM amount?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I went from a 12core 2010 Mac Pro to the 2022 Mac Studio Max. Yes, getting the 1TB SSD should be the standard. I picked the 1TB/32GB model and it runs very well. I was able to use about 29GB of ram while running a few tests with the video engine enabled and trying out the new UADx plugins. If I had to did it all over again I would have went with 1TB/64GB for a little extra comfort lol. But I will see what the M2 or M3 units have to offer down the line and then upgrade if needed.

While waiting for the new computer to be delivered, I created a folder and started downloading all the software I needed. I already had all my presets uploaded to Dropbox. Once the Mac Studio arrived I move the folder over and started a fresh install of everything as time went on. This also gave me another chance to get rid of any software or plugins I wasn't using. Once I was happy with testing sessions out I made the permanent switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Darryl covered pretty much everything(and I 100% agree that Migration Assistant would be a disaster). Back to one of your first comments about monitor screens, you could go quite a bit bigger if you think vertical instead of horizontal. Check my setup with a pair of 32" screens with a 22" on top that holds stuff I don't need to look at a lot. The bottom screen is laid back like the Slate MTi2, but its not a touchscreen(I went down that rabbit hole and then crawled back out)

Man, I was looking at doing a similar setup. What 32" monitors and resolution setting are you using? I'm currently using a 34" LG 1080p monitor. Thanks

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 10-08-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
In the short term I have numerous 1TB Sata drives and for 30 bucks you can get a USB-c to SATA connector which should be more than fast enough for the projects I am working on.
While SATA SSDs may be fast enough for you. There are faster options if you are interested. Your Mac Studio has 4 Thunderbollt ports on the back and you can get a Thunderbolt chassis to add one or more NVME SSDs. It is not as fast as the internal SSD in these newer Macs, but faster than SATA SSDs.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1