Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Default Insufficient system resources for Plug-ins HD|3?

I saved a session on an HD|3 rig running 7.3.1cs5 and Mac OS 10.4.11, everything running fine. Tried reopening on another HD|3 rig running the same software versions, same cards (PCIe accel), but about 10 different TDM plug-ins will not load onto tracks because of "insufficient system resources". Is there some kind of allocation or DSP distribution problem going on here that I can clean up? Any advice appreciated. I am considering running the Pro Tools Preferences and Databases Helper App., but beyond that I could use some guidance. The System with the issue is a G5 dual 2Ghz with 2.5 Gb RAM, and the original HD|3 system ran on an intel dual 2.66 GHz with 2 Gb RAM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Insufficient system resources for Plug-ins HD|3?

The only reason that would happen is if you were actually moving from an Accel system to the original "process" system, or if those plug-ins are not the right version for the computer. Other things being equal, one HD3 is exactly as powerful as another.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:54 PM

Does this look normal? This looks to me like inefficient use of DSP with regards to Waveshell DAE:
DSP Usage Window
Quote:
The only reason that would happen is if you were actually moving from an Accel system to the original "process" system, or if those plug-ins are not the right version for the computer. Other things being equal, one HD3 is exactly as powerful as another.
By saying the plug-ins are not the right version for the computer, are you saying they wouldn't work at all or are they DSP hogs? I can make all plug-ins inactive, thereby freeing all DSP, then activate one-by-one any plug-in until I get the error message: not enough free DSP (error#-7204), regardless of what order I activate.
Here is a list of Plugs I cannot get loaded while the above DSP usage window applies at session opening.
Plugs List
Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM

I’ve actually seen this on reopening sessions on the very same system. After the session opened, try reactivating the disabled plug-ins — PT will eventually start going through its awful “reshuffling boogie” a few times. It’s worked for me.

Also, once fully reloaded, take a look at the “System Usage” window, paying close attention to the number of voices used by the session. If possible, reduce the session’s DSP footprint, by reducing the number of voices/chips allocated in the Hardware Setup.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM

This is an issue that has been needing some Digi-TLC for a long time now. I wish the system would take some sort of snapshot upon closing a session, and then reopen things based on that, instead of the order of tracks in a session (which is how it’s currently done).

I’ve actually encountered your specific problem on reopening sessions on the very same system. After the session opened, try reactivating the disabled plug-ins — PT will eventually start going through its awful “reshuffling boogie” a few times. It’s worked for me.

Also, once reloaded (regardless of how far you got), take a look at the “System Usage” window, paying close attention to the number of voices used by the session. If possible, reduce the session’s DSP footprint, by reducing the number of voices/chips allocated in the Hardware Setup.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the insight; can anybody address specifically the pics I linked to above? I am wondering if this is shoddy waveshell performance, and I'm confused about the many scenarios that Waves plug-ins can exist in your plug-ins folder. I currently have two waveshells in my folder, 5.0 and 5.2, apparently both necessary to address the many plug-ins I need for this session. However, on the original rig I was running with Waveshell 5.9.x. Is it possible that the later release is running leaner on the original rig, whereas the waveshells I have now are just very old and cobbled together to get at the same place?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 AM

This is just a thought that came to mind when quickly taking a glimpse on this issue- but confirm that the system with the issue has the Waves update for PT 7 that fixes the bug about DSP allocation.

Check it here at wavesupport.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Hi,
the System Usage windwo looks familiar to me. I once had a similiar situation in a mixing session. The problem has been wrong versions of Waves PlugIns. Each instance of a PlugIn bites into a new DSP, they don't share the DSPs anymore. Even if you open two DeEssers e.g., they won't use one DSP together.
I didn't have the Waves compatible PlugIns for version 7. If you're WUPed you can download them.

Kind regards

Mark
Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
The only reason that would happen is if you were actually moving from an Accel system to the original "process" system, or if those plug-ins are not the right version for the computer.
I think what you should have said was "...not the right version for the version of Pro Tools." What you were implying was that it was a PPC vs. Intel issue.
Quote:
This is just a thought that came to mind when quickly taking a glimpse on this issue- but confirm that the system with the issue has the Waves update for PT 7 that fixes the bug about DSP allocation.

Check it here at wavesupport.
Quote:
Hi,
the System Usage windwo looks familiar to me. I once had a similiar situation in a mixing session. The problem has been wrong versions of Waves PlugIns. Each instance of a PlugIn bites into a new DSP, they don't share the DSPs anymore. Even if you open two DeEssers e.g., they won't use one DSP together.
I didn't have the Waves compatible PlugIns for version 7. If you're WUPed you can download them.

Kind regards

Mark
I think you're both right. Unfortunately I can't get to these updates right now, but that has to be the cause of all this hooplah.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM

I had a problem where my system fell short of DSP when opening a session on a new system, even though 7 DSP chips were unused. . . the session was fine on my old system. This problem left a number of instances of Waves C4 inactive. Thru a process of elimination, I concluded in the end that the problem was Sonnex Reverb and Waves plugins not playing nice together. It was 100% repeatable. I reported the specifics of the problem to Digidesign, Waves, and Sonnex. I followed up several times with Sonnex and Waves, but never did hear back. I have since eliminated use of all Sonnex plugins and have not seen the problem since.

Old System - PT 7.2, HD 3 Accel, G5 2.5GHz 4 GB Ram, OS X 10.4.9

New System - PT 7.3, HD 3 PCIe, Mac Pro 2.66 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.4.9