Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 04-07-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Pro Tools M-Powered Crashes while Loading..

Hello all. I'm new here and to Pro Tools. I've been recording for many years. I run a successful project studio. My primary platform is Sonar 6. I have a new client coming in in a week. They sent me their Pro Tools sessions from another studio for export. I bought Pro Tools at a local retailer because I needed it QUICK! I had an old M-Audio Delta 44 laying around. I installed it in my Magma PCI expansion chassis and it works fine.

To make it simpler, I will paste here what I sent to Digidesign support. My hope is that someone here has some insight, based on my information that will help. I did search this forum and others for an answer, but have come up empty handed so far. I should preface this with the fact that I have been building and working with computers for 15 years now. I am an IT (Network) Engineer Consultant as a supplement to being an recording engineer. So, don't worry about getting too technical...I can handle it

Thanks in advance!!

*****PASTE****

Digidesign Software: Pro Tools M-Powered
Version: 7.3.1
Computer Model and Speed: Hand Built, Asus P5n32-e SLI, Pentium Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz
RAM: 4GB
Operating System: Windows XP Pro 32 bit

Other Digidesign and third party products used in the system:
4xUAD-1 Cards, SSL Duende, Tascam FW-1884 Control Surface, M-Audio Delta44 sound card, 7-slot PCI expansion Chassis (Magma), Cakewalk Sonar 6.2.1 Producer Edition, Steinberg Wavelab Essential, Native Instruments Guitar Rig2/B4 II/Akoustik PianoElektrik Piano, IK Multimedia Mroslav, Cakewalk Z3ta

Please give a concise description of the problem:
Basically Pro Tools M-Powered will not load at all. It crashes during the splash screen at various places during the 'Loading Plugins' phase.

To begin with, I created a 'System Restore Point' in Windows before I ever installed anything at all. This has allowed me to bring my system back to a state of 'cleanliness' which makes it far easier to troubleshoot, and makes 'uninstalling' far more meaningful.

My system is hand-built with the following components: Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard, Pentium Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz CPU, 2xCorsair Twin2x 6400C4 DDR2 Dual Channel RAM pairs (4GB total), OCZ 850w Power Supply, 3xMaxtor SATA300 drives, IDE DVD/CD Burner, Visiontek X300SE PCI-e video card, UAD-1 PCI-e card, PCI connecter card for 7-slot PCI expansion chassis (chassis has 3xUAD-1 cards, PCI firewire controller, M-Audio Delta 44 sound card). Connected via firewire to system are SSL Duende and Tascam FW-1884.

At first I had attempted to install the RTAS versions of my UAD-1 and SSL Duende Plugins, prior to the PT M-Powered installation. I then installed PT M-Powered-rebooted-installed PT 7.3.1 Update-rebooted. I then inserted the iLok, installed the drivers and attempted to load PT. As it was trying to load my plugins, it crashed. I tried removing each plugin (one at at time) from the DAE folder, but even when ALL plugins were emptied, it still crashed when the splash screen said 'loading plugins'.

Actions required to reproduce the problem:
Open Pro Tools

Troubleshooting already attempted:
I uninstalled Pro Tools and EVERYTHING associated with it (plug-ins, etc) and did a system restore using the restore point I created before the original install. By virtue of the system restore, I also uninstalled the RTAS versions of my UAD and Duende plugins.

I re-installed Pro Tools and the 7.3.1 update, always following all written and on-screen instructions. This time, NO RTAS versions of UAD & Duende...still the same crash on loading.

I updated my iLok drivers to the latest. I verified that I am running the latest M-Audio Delta44 drivers. I downloaded the 7.3.1 update from the Digidesign web site. I tried a 3rd, clean install (after another system restore to the original system state). Sma e problem.

I tried a 4th clean install, this time without installing the 7.3.1 update...same exact issue.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools M-Powered Crashes while Loading..

I should have noted also, I did a cursory 'once-through' on the troubleshooting guide. I believe I am in compliance with everything. I will go through it again more thoroughly.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:54 AM

it could be your plug-ins / it could be your hardware.

make sure you get the latest drivers from the M-Audio website (but you said you made sure of that already - just double check that you downloaded them from their website, not from the cd that ships with the product).

you have a lot going on in the hardware - i would not install the UAD until you figure out what is causing the problem - just stick with the delta 44 install, and windows XP pro - keep it as simple as possible on the first go around.

have you tried installing the 7.1cs10?

to help you further, please post SANDRA info.

if you don't know what that is, then go to the following THREAD:
Help us help you - what you need to know before posting!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM

I was fine with 7.3, couldn't run at all with 7.3.1 cs1, and am now running just fine on 7.3.1 cs2. I run XP 32-bit home edition.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:45 AM

I have had the same problem, mine was due to a plugin which unfortunatly left me no choice but to find out which plugin was causing the problem....and I had quite a few plugins installed at the time.
Do not quote me on this as I suppose it could be quite a number of things.

Good luck !!

Mark
Old 04-11-2007, 04:24 AM

You may also want to try the dual core update and hotfix.
I noticed you have dual core. There are updates needed.

I am not too familiar since I have a single core.

Others might be able to help more.
I KNOW other people have overlooked this and that it causes failures.

Best of luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 AM

No DAE error message? Just plain disappears on load?

If you're using Windows XP with service pack 2 (SP2), then you must enter the Pro Tools executable program as an exception to the WinXP Data Execution Prevention performance option:

Control Panel-->Performance and Maintenance-->System-->Advanced Tab-->Settings Button-->Data Execution Prevention Tab-->Radio Button for Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:-->Add Button-->browse for PT executable and double click

That should do it unless you have other issues.

Checklist for configuration issues is here:

Configuration Checklist

...addicted to gear