Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Record monitoring

No latency issues with my Mac Pro 8 Core Nehalem set at 64 buffers and "low latency monitoring" turned off so i could use the plug ins in real time (live) recording (Guitar Rig 4, Komplete 6, Omnisphere, PODFarm, Fairchild Comp, Superior Drummer etc)
Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
When recording, I monitor with a D8B. I don't monitor via software because of latency. I would like to hear the playback but not the input when the track is armed. Is this possible without disarming the track?
First of all, I also got no issues monitoring through my 003R, but this doesn't help you. So:

You can toggle Auto Input Monitoring with alt+k. This changes the behavior of what you hear with armed tracks. The options are: always hear the input, or only hear the input when recording and otherwise hear what's already on the track.
But if I get you right, this isn't your problem. While recording you hear the signal from your mixer and through PT, right? What about muting the record-enabled track or switching it to another output?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Red face Re: Record monitoring

The easiest way to explain it is that I would like to mute the input on an armed track but still be able to hear any regions on the track. My suggestion is that an input and a return are not the same thing. Why does PT seem to not differentiate between the two. If I'm tracking a guitar part and I'm sitting in close proximity the the amp, why should I have to hear the input channel? I would still need to previous takes or audio (cues) prior to punch in. Does this make my objective any clearer?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 AM

I have tried recording with the buffer set as low as 32. I think most guitarist will tell you that any amount of latency is noticeable. A guitarist has to have both hand in sync just to produce one note. Timing is essential to the clarity and quality of the notes produced. For me it's not how it (LLM) sounds, It's more how it feels.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 AM

I should state that I haven't personally tried this, but would setting the *record* level fader to -inf do what you are asking? (The record and playback fader levels are normally the same but can be unlinked in the preferences somewhere).

John
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
The easiest way to explain it is that I would like to mute the input on an armed track but still be able to hear any regions on the track. My suggestion is that an input and a return are not the same thing. Why does PT seem to not differentiate between the two. If I'm tracking a guitar part and I'm sitting in close proximity the the amp, why should I have to hear the input channel? I would still need to previous takes or audio (cues) prior to punch in. Does this make my objective any clearer?
You are asking that the track is punched in and muted at the same time.
That is not a function in PT.
That's two operations, that's just the way it is.
I suppose you could achieve something like that with a keystroke utility like QuickKeys...
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohn View Post
I should state that I haven't personally tried this, but would setting the *record* level fader to -inf do what you are asking? (The record and playback fader levels are normally the same but can be unlinked in the preferences somewhere).
John
I'm SORRY, I spoke too soon.

Of course, John has the solution. I have even done this many times myself in the past! But that was some time ago, so I had forgotten.

Unlink record and play faders in the preferences, and set the fader to -inf when it is in the armed state.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I have tried recording with the buffer set as low as 32. I think most guitarist will tell you that any amount of latency is noticeable. A guitarist has to have both hand in sync just to produce one note. Timing is essential to the clarity and quality of the notes produced. For me it's not how it (LLM) sounds, It's more how it feels.
Sorry but there is no way that this amount of latency is discernible, timing wise.

32 samples = .7ms at 44.1 khz sample rate. Double that because you incur that latency on the way in and the way out.

Anyway, It sounds like you are just trying to punch in but you can't hear the existing track that you are punching in on? If so, then you should be using quick punch recording mode (record button has a P in it) and you should be in "Auto Input Monitoring" not "Input Only Monitoring".

The entry in the Track menu is counterintuitive because when you are in Auto Input, "Input Only Monitoring" is displayed. By clicking on that you are choosing Input only and the menu item changes back to "Auto Input Monitoring"!! Pretty stupid if you ask me. They should just make the Menu items a XOR choice but show both..

Anyway, you can also tell by looking at the transport.. Right next to the record button are 2 "LED" indicators.. top one is RED if any tracks are rec enabled and the bottom one is GREEN if you are in Input Only monitoring..
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 AM

Smile Re: Record monitoring

Thanx 4 all the info. I will post my results.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 AM

I had wanted to add to my previous post but forgot:

If you are inserting plugin effects on the tracks that you are recording, then you might be hearing that latency, not the hardware buffer latency.