Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Bass Guitar

I have been working on numerous songs and am trying to get the bass parts recorded now. I have been going directly into the 002 rack and it hasn't been sounding all that great. I've tried EQ, slight overdrive, and comressing, but I still cannot get the sound I am looking for (which is thrash/black metal)
I am a guitarist/producer. I can transition to bass pretty well, so I know its not a technique issue. With using what I have, I am not getting the bass to sound right.
I don't have a bass amp, so Direct In is the only way to go. With using only what I have (bass, EQ and compression plug ins and 002 Rack) does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Bass Guitar

Maybe try demoing some plug-ins like IK Multimedia AMPEG SVX and or try using a guitar plug-in like Eleven (never tried on Bass specifically but amazing on guitar for adding life to a lifeless instrument!) or even Metal Amp Room by Softube for a dirty growling bass or distorted bass sounds.

I'd try them in that order too. It's all personal preference so just gotta try em out and see. I believe those are all fully functional plug-ins as demos too. Report back and let us know how it goes~!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 AM

I believe Izotope's Trash lite comes with the Ignition pack!
Try this one.
Another suggestion is Amplitube or Ampeg Uno.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 AM

I usually split my signal path and use amp sims on both. For example I'll record the bass direct and put the output of that track to two aux's. On each of those I'll have a amp sim, one clean, one distorted. I then mix those to my final bass tone. Usually I'm using my SWR head as a pre-amp recording direct, then on one aux I have Amplitube just using the bass speaker emulation (my clean channel), on the other aux I use AmplitubeLE for the distortion channel (I found I like the LE version best for bass distortion even if it won't reset the saved settings properly!).
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 AM

Amplitube works for me.

I also had a similar problem with a band - where it ended up being the guy's bass itself (even though it was a Fender Jazz). When I recorded it direct, it sounded like crap. I had a newer bass (schecter) with active electronics - that has a great sound when recorded direct.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambeau View Post
Amplitube works for me.

I also had a similar problem with a band - where it ended up being the guy's bass itself (even though it was a Fender Jazz). When I recorded it direct, it sounded like crap. I had a newer bass (schecter) with active electronics - that has a great sound when recorded direct.
I know the original poster said money was a issue but active electronics and a direct in are a great start. If the posters bass is passive and he can borrow a direct box it may help. If there is a mismatch between the bass and the input inserting a stomp box with a properly designed buffer might help things out. A outboard tube pre could be used to warm things up. Try using the preamp out of a clean sounding guitar amp to add some EQ and warmth.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM

How about a really cheap little tube pre-amp? Spend maybe $100 or so. It's hard because DI bass really will always sound like cardboard and crap compared to a decent mic pre. By that I mean I record without an amp alot, but I run it through my Avalon 737sp or sometimes I use my Focusrite ISA where I can change impedance. The thing is that no matter how many plug in's you use, if your source signal isn't good the output won't ever sound tasty.

If you really need some love, why not rent a piece of gear or buy one from Sweetwater on a credit card and return it... girls do this at prom all the time with dresses. I mean, especially if you are trying to get a serious product pull out all the stops.

D
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM

The IK SVX is a good suggestion...

so is the idea of a direct box instead of plugging straight into the 002

I might recommend the Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI or RBI.
You can use it either as JUST a better DI than the 002 input, OR you can do some tone and distortion shaping in the Sans Amp and might find you don't need the SVX.

also, do you have a GOOD bass guitar?

lastly, forgive me but I've found over many years that it's the RARE guitarist who actually CAN play bass guitar to sound right (even though they all think they can!)
Don't take it for granted.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into a decent pre and go from there.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone said a PRE.

just a DI.
you'd still be using the mic pre in the 002 (via its XLR input) after the external DI