Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Disk Allocation Question

Hey Folks:

A session I am working on came in as a Logic session. I imported the regions (From the client CD) into my firewire drive (Archive drive), created a new folder called "Song Name PT" to indicate it being a Pro Tools session. Okay, The person who did the session in Logic didn't name any of their files so I had to sort through 300+ regions to find Drums, Piano etc. I was able to recreate the session in PT. I moved the session over to my "Work Drives" from my Firewire drive (Getting ready to mix). This is my dilemma, the session's disk allocation is showing the Archive drive (Firewire) and the session is clicking and popping like crazy. Now, I know there is a limit on the amount of tracks that a firewire drive can play. However, the session I recreated is now on my work drives (ATA and SCSI). Why doesn't the disk allocation show where the regions currently are. I've even deleted all regions imported from the FW drive and it still shows in the allocation. What the H*&L is going on?

Warren
www.brownstonerecordingstudio.com
Old 03-08-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Disk Allocation Question

So change the allocation. Go to the Setup>Disk Allocation and change all the tracks to your SCSI drives.
Then close the session and delete all your fade folders on the FW drives.
Then reopen the session and recreate all the fades on your newly allocated drives.
As long as you don't excede the track count you should be okay.

Note: You can't mix SCSI and FW in a session. I guess playing audio off SCSI and going to fade files on your FW drive won't help.
and Remeber that Disk Allocation only governs where new audio is recorded, not where existing audio plays back from.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Disk Allocation Question

Forgot all about the fade files

Thanks Jim

Warren
www.brownstonerecordingstudio.com