Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-27-2022, 08:48 AM

Default Shortcut for Edit/Mix windows not toggling

This behavior just started happening recently. When I use the keyboard shortcut command+= to toggle between the Edit and Mix windows, it doesn't always toggle on the first press. On the second press it will work. I'm noticing that when one of the windows toggles and comes forward, when I look in the Window menu, the shortcut hasn't moved to the other window. In fact, the wrong window is checked. When I use the shortcut next, the window doesn't actually toggle but the status and shortcut change to the way they should be. I'm including a screenshot. You can see that although the Edit window is on top, the Mix window has the check next to it and the shortcut is ready to toggle the Edit window.

I don't have any peripherals attached.
System: Mac Studio, OS 13.0.1, PT Studio 2022.10.0

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EditMixToggleIssue.jpg (32.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-28-2022, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Shortcut for Edit/Mix windows not toggling

Same here! Main window doesn't stay active. I have to click on Pro Tools to activate/bring it forward and then I can use the shortcut.
This happens constantly when using commit. This really messes with my SoundFlow because it needs to have Pro Tools main window active to complete shortcuts

I also noticed that sometimes plugin/video window position changes when opening or creating a new session from template. They don't stay where they were positioned.

This started happening with Pro Tools 2022.10 and it's happening on both MacOS Big Sur and Ventura.

Hope this will get fixed in the next update
iMac Pro 3.2 Ghz 8 Core Intel Xeon W • 32GB 2666 MHz DDR4 • Amphion Two15 w/ Amphion Amp500 • UAD Apollo 8 Duo • UAD-2 Satellite Quad • Avid Artist Mix • Kemper Profiling Amp • BSS DPR-402 Stereo Compressor • Pro Tools 2023.12.1 • MacOS 14.3.1
Old 11-28-2022, 06:04 AM

Interesting. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I installed Soundflow as well. I thought that might be involved with this issue so I unplugged the stream deck and quit Soundflow. Unfortunately that didn't improve anything.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:25 AM

is it possible that this thread is relevant to this issue? if so, the trick is to use windows instead of tabs. i am not running macOS Ventura so the exact location of this setting may have changed (in fact it likely did given all of the changes to System Preferences).

hope this helps

Last edited by devinemke; 11-28-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:30 AM

Thanks. Tried changing that setting to Never and it didn't change this behavior. What's interesting is that I can switch between both Mix and Edit windows using the Mac OS shortcut "command + ~". In fact, when I do that the checkmark in the Window menu is properly updated to indicate which of the two windows is active. It's the "command + =" shortcut that seems to have some kind of bug. I'm curious if installing Soundflow has anything to do with this. It's either that or the updated version of PT that started this issue on my system. I'm running 2020.10.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinemke View Post
is it possible that this thread is relevant to this issue? if so, the trick is to use windows instead of tabs. i am not running macOS Ventura so the exact location of this setting may have changed (in fact it likely did given all of the changes to System Preferences).

hope this helps
Old 11-30-2022, 06:36 AM

have you checked for keyboard shortcut conflicts in /System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts/ ???

perhaps Command + = is in use for something else (some other app)?
Old 11-30-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmit View Post
Thanks. Tried changing that setting to Never and it didn't change this behavior. What's interesting is that I can switch between both Mix and Edit windows using the Mac OS shortcut "command + ~". In fact, when I do that the checkmark in the Window menu is properly updated to indicate which of the two windows is active. It's the "command + =" shortcut that seems to have some kind of bug. I'm curious if installing Soundflow has anything to do with this. It's either that or the updated version of PT that started this issue on my system. I'm running 2020.10.0
If it IS SoundFlow, try turning off the "default SoundFlow triggers" and instead that means you turn all SoundFlow shortcuts on manually. The "default SoundFlow trigger" set is a whole bunch of stuff most ordinary long term users wouldn't be into (for such reasons as ordinary shortcuts being taken over in some cases)
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-27-2022, 03:52 PM

Good news. The 2022.12 update fixed this problem. Listed as a bug related to running on Mac OS Ventura.