Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-28-2022, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Cheap solution thought to share

unsure of what is being meant...as such I declare this thread as now a missed opportunity for adventure

Peace all...I'm moving on (fear not, I'm leaving still with my sense of humour exxploration..and repeated ha ha's)

Good luck...and again....peace

Cheers
Stephen
Old 10-28-2022, 04:21 PM

Default Cheap solution thought to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post
Ha ha, as the as the mbox pro 3 purchase comes with a second gen ilokwith PT9... I figure it will function on one of my several workstations...I am simply curious if I can get it to work with anything
as an interface through an iPhone 10....Ha ha, oh I may fail, but I will try!
You can be curious, but I wouldn’t bother trying. It is technically impossible for it to work with an iPhone/iPad.

But yes, it will work with a Mac assuming the drivers marry up with the OS installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2022, 09:54 PM

You're going to be disappointed when you get your MBox 3 Pro. It will not work with Catalina. Avid never produced 64 bit drivers. Install an older OS.

And being a Firewire device no chance in Hades it will work with iPhone. Not that it would work if it were USB either...
Old 10-30-2022, 03:18 AM

Hi,

I appreciate the guidance...keep it coming:)

I actually picked up two Mac Book Pro 2012's on the cheap...one runs Catalina. As mentioned, with this one, I'm running PT 2021.6.

I have an IK Multimedia irig pro paired with it, defined as my mobile rig.

On my Iphone X I use a few products (simple daws, but effective while on the road travelling within the scope of my day gig...I work half the year in the Arctic...so the size of what I carry around with me is very important, both in terms of cost and comfort...as I lug around camera gear as well.)

With the second 2012 mac book pro, (of which I snagged for $150), I will plop a supported op sys onto it so that it talks to the mbox 3..., simply curious to see if I can get an mbox interfacing with the iphone...to run anything

So really no biggie on being disappointed, or not...I simply adjust my cheap old gear accordingly...into the lego pieces they have become for me

If I can't find a way to interface the Mbox 3 Pro with an iphone X, then I will enjoy it with my second old 2012 Mac Pro...that I suspect will soon be gobbled up by my son, who has taken a keen interest in playing around with Reason

(most everything finds a place)

Another project that I have on the go is...

I'm constructing a PTHD 8.3 system around a 12-core 2012 Mac Pro Cheese grater that I snagged for $200 (I already owned a few old PTHD licenses...so I figured...may as well put one to use)

I see/hear utility within older systems...provided they fit my need.

My Need:

The HD system will become a (non-mobile) live tracking rig, complete with a couple of adat 8 channel mic pre's that I have kicking around...(just picked up a Digi 003 Console for $250, that I'll attempt to integrate with my CM labs Motor Mix...fingers crossed). If you go with the adat mic pre's you can buy a 192 Digital for under $200

None of this has to be a serious financial investment.

This system will be for personal use. It will live in my basement (much to the objection of my wife!)

Point again being is that you can have a ton of fun today with cheap old gear. Gear that simply may have been out of the financial reach to most all 'normal' hobbyist years ago (of which today I consider myself to be.)

So fear not and explore, realizing that realignment of intentions is a key element of playing with old gear...at least that's the methodology that I continue to practice...encouraging others to do the same, again in pursuit of the art of the possible

ha ha...but. I've been wrong before!

Cheers
S

Last edited by Filmusic; 10-30-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:14 AM

Default Cheap solution thought to share

Filmusic - all well and good re: old gear, BUT (and I’ll bow out after this) you CAN NOT get the MBox Pro to work with an iOS device. Trust me. Its not even worth trying.

Firstly, its FW. iOS has NEVER supported FW devices. Secondly, for a USB interface (again, of which the MBox Pro is not) to be functional with an iOS device, it needs to be class complaint. ie: no drivers. None of the MBox range fits the bill.

If that’s what you want to do, you can pick up a plethora of interfaces that do fit the bill probably for a similar price to what you paid for your MBox Pro. Less inputs, but for a mobile rig on your portable device, what more do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post
I'm constructing a PTHD 8.3 system
What is that? HD 8.1.1 was the last widely available version, then HDN early adopters got HD 8.5 special version just ahead of PT9 release.
Old 10-30-2022, 03:12 PM

Hi.. according to my ilock licence I own pthd8.3… as far as firewire and my iPhone… it is simply a construct… that as folks suggest…may fail...I'mOK with that...so lets leap beyond that point of concern..please

I trust everyone can understand the message of empowerment that I’m attempting to send, if not, no fear not, as mentioned… I’ve been wrong before!

If anyone has found my exploration as an unintended contest…that would be unfortunate, as it has not been meant to be that at all.

As, I would rather us all offering testament to the brilliance of others, who have provided teck today, at pennies on the dollar from points of origins found yesteryears.

(smells like lively perpetual vibrant opportunity to me!)

Cheers
S

Last edited by Filmusic; 10-30-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:59 AM

Hi - correction

my ilok contains licenses for both for HD7.3 and HD8 ...(not 8.3 and 7.1, as I had earlier mistakenly recalled... )

Its been 8 or 9 years since I used either licence....memory was fleeting...time is flying

sorry for any confusion on this point

(If anyone is selling HD 10...shoot me a PM...as I am seeking an upgrade to the new (old) system that I'm currently building)

Cheers
S