Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2022, 06:59 AM

Default Song transfer and timeline editing.

I transferred a reel of 24 track tape with several songs to a single ProTools session. When trying to split the songs up into their own unique folder I get the complete timeline for the whole reel instead of just the 3 or 4 minutes that the songs represents. Is there a way to export the individual songs without getting 30 minutes of timeline, or delete a portion of the timeline that is not part of the song?

Last edited by chuckwow; 10-10-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Song transfer and timeline editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwow View Post
I transferred a reel of 24 track tape with several songs to a single ProTools session. When trying to split the songs up into their own unique folder I get the complete timeline for the whole reel instead of just the 3 or 4 minutes that the songs represents. Is there a way to export the individual songs without getting 30 minutes of timeline, or delete a portion of the timeline that is not part of the song?

Yes. You can separate the songs on the main clip using editing. Use the selector tool to highlight the song from start to finish and then separate the highlighted part. You can even rename the new clip to the individual song title if you wish. Once you've created a separate clip for each song, you can simply export each clip individually from the clip list and save them however you wish.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:58 AM

That's the ticket, but I'll expound a little as I have done this many times. With all the tracks in what I would call the "master" session, enable the ALL group. Now make a folder for each song. In the master session, swipe across to highlight 1 song and hit B to separate clip(the ALL group will make the separation to all tracks). Then with the clips for any given song highlighted, use the Export Clips as Files command and export those clips to the folder you made for that song. Once you did this for each song, close the master session. Now create a new blank session for 1 song and import audio. Do some basic "housekeeping" stuff(like drop markers, name tracks) then get to mixing. You may find that you can get the first song to a good state and save that session as a template(without media). Then for each other song, create sessions from that template>import audio to the Clips Bin and drag each file to the track it belongs on(someone else may have a slicker way, but this is my method)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-10-2022, 10:32 AM

thank you both for your suggestions. i will give them a try.
wish me luck since knowing me i can use it.

thanks again
Old 10-10-2022, 03:31 PM

BTW, in the future, per DUC rules, post your question one time in one section.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave