Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2022, 05:13 PM

Default Re: How Headphones Influence Music Production

And unless it's a binaural mix how do folks manage critical listening on headphones anyhow. The lack of channel blending sounds awful. I use Grace and Meier Audio headphone amps with channel blending.

Sure if you are delivering stuff you would have to listen on headphones and approve the mix without the blending, but jeez it sounds like crap without channel blending.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:12 PM

When singers and musicians record performances while listening to themselves wearing headphones, the quality of the performance is often seriously degraded. The problem is not latency. Just listening to what happens to pitch when you hold your hands over your ears tells the tale.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:08 PM

I don't know that I'd agree the vocal style is due to headphones. It's more probable that one singer did it, got popular, and then a ton of other artists copied it. Either because they thought it would make hits or because a producer told them it would make hits. Same way pop music has worked for what, 75 years?

Sounds jaded but it happens every decade. I don't think there's any point in looking for meaning with top label artists.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:34 PM

It's not vocal style, it's emotional connection.

The use of headphones for making records was not common before the early 1970s. I was lucky to be a pioneer in the use of headphones during the late 1960s. I got to experience both sides depending on the producer. The purpose was to keep leakage from the speaker out of the microphone. Ironically, it has become common to add delay which emulates the bleed.

All I can say is to try it and hear what happens.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:25 PM

Cool thread! Interesting thoughts above!!!

How theory meets emotional experiences...

That is using tech to make music, yep!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-07-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It's not vocal style, it's emotional connection.

The use of headphones for making records was not common before the early 1970s. I was lucky to be a pioneer in the use of headphones during the late 1960s. I got to experience both sides depending on the producer. The purpose was to keep leakage from the speaker out of the microphone. Ironically, it has become common to add delay which emulates the bleed.

All I can say is to try it and hear what happens.
I agree with you Bob that it affects how the singer performs. For better or worse depending on the material. I just wouldn't say that it's because the end listener wears headphones, which is what the article sounds like to me.

Also an issue with ADR in film production. Some actors will not wear headphones or need one-sided cans. I don't blame them.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:43 PM

It has no "objective answer".

Literally what's happening is that subconscious instincts combine with memories and ideas, affecting how we wish to consciously and physically interact with events and situations.

It seems more neurologically exact, in a way, not just up for debate taking it abstractly like this. "Want headphones?" or "Use headphones as a target reference?" are reasonable to me, not "Are headphones good or bad?"

That's my opinion.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-08-2022, 06:48 AM

This is certainly an interesting discussion. It does seem to be the case that there is as much psychology as technology involved in the music creation process.