Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 PM

Default 11.2.1.203 - Session save copy makes new files

----------------------------
Eucon 3.1.0
Artist Mix
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
24GB RAM

It seems the "create new audio files" instead of copying the original ones, is back in at least this version of PT11. It happens to me with both export selected tracks and save session copy, with audio. Files I know to be old are created new. Every audio file copied is created new.

Please copy the original audio files, and don't create new ones.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Default Re: 11.2.1.203 - Session save copy makes new files

Im very confused...

"Copy the original audio files" as you say... will make new files that are copies of the ones you said for it to copy... and since they are copies on a particular date they are time stamped accordingly.

Maybe Ill have to try this myself and see the result but Im not getting it.

I think the only option is to reference the old files or make copies. I don't see any other option possible... certainly not the way I'm reading what you wrote... maybe I'm misunderstanding but to me that works as expected.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
Im very confused...

"Copy the original audio files" as you say... will make new files that are copies of the ones you said for it to copy... and since they are copies on a particular date they are time stamped accordingly.

Maybe Ill have to try this myself and see the result but Im not getting it.

I think the only option is to reference the old files or make copies. I don't see any other option possible... certainly not the way I'm reading what you wrote... maybe I'm misunderstanding but to me that works as expected.

If a session is referencing audio files, that were made some other day (week, or year), PT should not create new files (new creation dates and modification dates that is) when simply copying a session to another location. This creates tons of unnecessary media that needs to be backed up. It doesn't need to create new media, as it's referencing it fine without modifying anything while working with the audio in an edit session.

Older versions of PT used to have this problem whenever saving a session copy, and we had to do Finder-level workarounds to prevent creating brand new media. This has been working correctly in PT for several years and versions, but PT11 is now creating new files again, instead of effectively doing a Finder-level copy which it has been doing for quite some time.

This would not apply of course if you're converting audio when copying, or consolidating. But when doing a simple copy with audio, there is no need to create any new audio files at that stage.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 PM

Are you looking at the creation date? It will aways stamp the copy with the current time and date, that's the way computer work

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 PM

From reference guide page 155

Items to Copy
When saving a copy of a session with the Save Copy In command, you can select which items are copied, as follows:

Audio Files
When this option is selected, all audio files are copied to the new location. This setting is automat- ically selected if you select a Session Format lower than 10.0.

Convert To Specified Format
When the Convert To Specified Format option is selected, all copied audio files are converted to the specified audio file format settings in the Session Parameters section.

***** When this option is not selected, any copied audio files retain their original audio file format settings (including sample rate and bit depth), and are exactly copied, bit-by-bit.

anyway I just tried the sac session copy in option using the copy files and Not copy files...

the copy files dialog did what I thought. made exact copies of the files but since they were copies made just now the date stamp reflects that...

but if I use the finder to copy the audio files the modification date and creation date stays the same.

Maybe thats what you think should happen... or something..

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Are you looking at the creation date? It will aways stamp the copy with the current time and date, that's the way computer work
Yes - check a session copy when using PT 10. The audio files are copied at Finder level, NOT created with new creation dates.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dave View Post
Yes - check a session copy when using PT 10. The audio files are copied at Finder level, NOT created with new creation dates.
FWIW - If I recall correctly, PT6,7,8,9,10 have all copied at the Finder level. PT5 was the last time I remember having this issue.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
FWIW - If I recall correctly, PT6,7,8,9,10 have all copied at the Finder level. PT5 was the last time I remember having this issue.
I did a test this morning with PT 11.2.0, and 11.1.2, and they both are creating new audio on both export selected tracks and save session copy, with audio.

I am NOT selecting to convert, just copy.

I would've caught this before but before 11.2.x the bugs in 11 prevented its use here.

All versions of PT6-10 copy at the Finder level, which it should be able to do. Otherwise all our backup systems are backing up material that they shouldn't have to.

The same test with PT10.3.8 and all works at a Finder level copy.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Eucon 3.1.0
Artist Mix
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
24GB RAM

It seems the "create new audio files" instead of copying the original ones, is back in at least this version of PT11. It happens to me with both export selected tracks and save session copy, with audio. Files I know to be old are created new. Every audio file copied is created new.

Please copy the original audio files, and don't create new ones.
Yeah, I'm seeing the finder creation date is being updated - happens in PT 11.1.3 and later. My guess is it probably happens in 11.1 also. Unique IDs are the same, though. I'll report it.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Caccavo View Post
Yeah, I'm seeing the finder creation date is being updated - happens in PT 11.1.3 and later. My guess is it probably happens in 11.1 also. Unique IDs are the same, though. I'll report it.
Thanks Danny!