Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-19-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Pro Tools HD - Not Impressed

I really want (and can afford) to update to this new system. I was so excited.

What for?

192kHz performance only gives 32 tracks. I can't make records that way so that's out.

96kHz performance is about what we have now. That don't sound like fun.

44.1kHz has twice the power ???? Well not really. Plus I get all that fun of replacing all my plugins. No thanks.

Makes more sense to invest in more Mix cards. Unless the software stops supporting it soon.

They should have released some new software with it.

I think Digidesign has Jumped the Shark.

Oh well.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD - Not Impressed

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> They should have released some new software with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I don't want them to release half-baked software, and I'll bet you don't either. It sounds like they're still trying to get what they have to work on Windows boxes and support for AV Option/XL users too.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:46 PM

I think the really big news is the price-performance of the 192 and 96 I/O (assuming they deliver on the sound front).

I also think the changes made in the TDM bussing open the door for major feature improvements in future software releases that would not have been possible with the current TDM. I also am impressed that I can get double the processing power with 2 cards and consider getting rid of my expansion cab.

The Pre is targeting the transparent croud. If it performs anywhere near something like a Millenia it will be another price performance break through (8 high quality channels controllable from the PT software).

IMHO the 192kHz was a freebie given the capability of the new 100MHz DSP chips and the newest converters (costs no more to make a 192 k than it does a 48k). This is good for the marketing boys, but I would be buying this HW for the TDMII and the 192 or 96 I/O and probably won't use 192 or 96 sample rates unless it blows me away when I hear it.
1-603-867-6843
Old 01-19-2002, 05:32 PM

The trade in period lasts until June. Some of the trade prices are decent. If you wait till after June and decide to upgrade, you'll have to sell privately and the value of "legacy" gear may have plummeted. And you'll have to pay retail for the new stuff.

That may not sound like a problem if you're happy with your current setup, but the fear is that all the new toys, 3rd party support and plug-ins, will only be for TDM2... and you'll be stuck in time like nuBus users were. It's a tough call. They gotcha' by the gotchas.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:31 PM

don't be fooled. You get twice the processing power at 44.1 to 48 k . Per the digi reps @ namm the processing power at 96K is about the same as what we have now. They have not changed the summing mixer. They basically gave us the same system as what we have now @ 96K with better converters and a better clock. Will their converter and clock sound better than the third party converters and clocks that are already out there? Possible but I doubt it. They say the new system sounds remarkably better but if you compare it to an old system using 888's and the usd (which we all agree don't sound that good) how hard would that be?
Old 01-19-2002, 09:38 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........ Catch 22.

As CCash pointed out, us current users will be frozen out if we are not in under the upgrade wire in June. Strange how Digi is herding us to HD, but has yet to help us start the transition to OS X.

I am not yet seeing the benefit in all this HD stuff.

Since there isn't a standardized delivery format to take advantage of the higher SRs, I think the cart is before the horse.

With the Music world currently stuck in 44.1 KHz and the Post world in 48 KHz, why would I want to shell out over $10,000 to upgrade for the privilege of down converting?

Am I missing something here?

Best Regards
Old 01-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CCash:
The trade in period lasts until June. Some of the trade prices are decent. If you wait till after June and decide to upgrade, you'll have to sell privately and the value of "legacy" gear may have plummeted. And you'll have to pay retail for the new stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CCash,

This is not true. The Hardware Exchange Introductory Offer ends June 30, 2002, but registered owners will continue to be able to exchange their existing systems for Pro Tools|HD. The Introductoy Offer is an opportunity to save $2000 off the eventual MIX-to-HD core system list prices, and $200 off the 192 I/O and SYNC exchanges.

Digidesign Product Information
Old 01-19-2002, 10:21 PM

ProdInfo-

Will new plugins in the future be compatible to Mix systems? Or, I should ask, will there be HD versions and Mix versions, of most plug-ins offered?
Old 01-20-2002, 04:58 AM

Speer..

In Mix + TDM once a session excedes 32 tracks there is some digital "math" done (??? trucation??) to hop it all over to another chip to facilitate 64 track operation.. this 'math' is avoided on PTHD TDM2.
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-20-2002, 05:48 AM

Do you guys really think that Digidesign is not working on a OS X version? If it was ready they would have released it.

From what i´ve heard they are working really hard on it but there is some problems that havent been solved yet. I think it was the MIDI part that was a big problem, but im not sure.

But if you guys want to run non working systems you really should take a good look at Cubase. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When Digidesign is done with it and it works we will get it. Until then i dont want it anyway.