Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Mbox Mini Question

I used to be a big fan of the 'Monitor' knob when I owned my Mbox 2 but I notice that the Mini doesn't have this feature. I personally prefer to monitor my artist with studio headphones anyway so my question is :

Couldn't I just purchase another set of monitoring headphones and plug them directly to my powered monitors while the artist's headphones remain plugged into the Mbox mini?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Mbox Mini Question

Ah, the second knob over is the "Mix" Knob

Its even labled "Mix" on my Mbox Micro to make it easier to identify.

Or do you have a MBox "Micro"? With no input the Micro would have no need for a Mix knob.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Or do you have a MBox "Micro"? With no input the Micro would have no need for a Mix knob.
I'm talking about GETTING the Mbox 2 Mini..

On the Mbox 2, the 2nd knob over is the 'monitor', the furthest to the right is the 'Mix' knob...furthest to the left is the 'headphone' knob....
Old 02-09-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:

On the Mbox 2, the 2nd knob over is the 'monitor', the furthest to the right is the 'Mix' knob...furthest to the left is the 'headphone' knob....
I must have misread your first post unless you edited it, Sorry.

What your asking then is can you use the MBox2 Minis monitor level control with 2 outputs (headphones and monitors) at the same time?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I must have misread your first post unless you edited it, Sorry.

What your asking then is can you use the MBox2 Minis monitor level control with 2 outputs (headphones and monitors) at the same time?
I think that's what I'm saying lol

basically...

I want my artist to have one set of headphones and I'd have the other....his set would plug in directly to the Mbox mini and my set would plug directly into the powered monitors...

I just need to know if that would work, that's all

It may even be a silly question but I've never done it before so I need to know before I purchase the mini. Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Well I will go check for you, I never use them both at once.

Check back in a minute.

Minutes up!

They both work at the same time.

In my case they head phones (Sennheiser HD 280s) were quite loud and the monitors (M Audios) were not as loud as normal so you might have to expiriment with finding the right balance between the two. What I didn't do was unplug the headphones during layback and see if the monitor volume increases when the phones disconnect.

Back in a minute.

I'm back! Nope volume is fine when you pull the headphones out. Nothing changes. You may need to turn up your volume at the monitors if your trying to balance out the headphine volume. A inline headphone attenuater would do the trick and depending on your equiptment you may not have the same amount of headphone volume as me. After comparing the second time the volume with the 002 to the Mbox2 Mini the volume is about the same.

Hope that helps.

BTW do your monitors have a headphone out? You normally wouldn't connect headphones to a speaker level output if the what your thinking of doing. You would want to aquire some type of headphone splitter if that was the case.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 AM

I also have M-Audio powered monitors and yeah they have a headphone out

what exactly does a inline headphone attenuater do?