Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 05-24-2021, 11:00 PM

Default Trying to set up Nektar NP-2 sustain pedal in Pro Tools

Hi there, I recently bought a Nektar NP-2 Sustain pedal to use with my Korg MicroKey in Pro Tools after a recommendation from the sales assistant at my local music store.

After opening the box I was a bit surprised to find that it only came with a direct jack input which I've plugged into the direct instrument input my PreSonus AudioBox iOne (I originally assumed the pedal would plug directly into the USB input on my MicroKey).

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the sustain pedal to work with Pro Tools or Komplete Kontrol. When I press down on the pedal I get a buzzing sound and the direct input light on the AudioBox lights up but it doesn't seem to have any effect on any MIDI tracks when I try to play with a default grand piano plugin.

It also doesn't appear in any MIDI/Periphiral setup windows in Pro Tools?

Any ideas? Apologies in advance, I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to things like this in Pro Tools.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks!

-m
Old 05-25-2021, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Trying to set up Nektar NP-2 sustain pedal in Pro Tools

Unfortunately, the Korg microKey keyboards do not have an external jack for connecting a sustain pedal, which is what you would do with the NP-2.

The NP-2 is basically a switch and would normally plug into your keyboard, which would trigger sustain when pressed. The keyboard would then send the MIDI command for sustain out the MIDI port, where it would get recorded by Pro Tools. Even though it is the same size jack, you can not and should not connect the NP-2 to your audio interface.

First, I would take the NP-2 back to the store where you got it from since you can not use it with the microKey.

If you do want to play around with sustain, just to see how it would work in Pro Tools, you can try the following:

Install the Korg Editor software that came with your Korg microKey. After connecting your microKey, edit the Modulation Wheel CC number from CC1 to CC64. This will allow you to sustain your keys by moving the Modulation Wheel. You will not have Modulation Effect when the CC number is 64.

System Details