Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 AM

Default Max Custom Fader Bank

Hi all,
Is there a way to assign Tracks to a Custom Fader when they are not visible on the board? I have a 32-Fader D-Control and would like to create a CF with my 32 BG tracks, but as soon as I go to Create/Edit the CF, if the max size is set to 32 all the tracks (naturally) vanish off the board so I can't figure out how to add the tracks to the group if I can't hit the Select button.
Can tracks be added from the Edit or Mix Window?
I'm in PT 7.2
cheers,
Joe
PS: Major triumph for me just figuring out how to make CFs; my life is irreversibly changed

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 11-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Max Custom Fader Bank

Tell me about it.

Try owning an 8 fader D Command. It makes this feature almost useless for us.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Drew :)
Hmm, so it sounds like the max number then is actually 1 less than the number of faders on the console.....pretty painful to nudge through that one remaining fader to add tracks.

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 AM

They simply need to allow standard selection practices to be applied to CF groups. Problem solved.

I have to keep all my CF groups to 4 so that I have faders still showing for Adding thereby limiting their usefulness immensely.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM

There is a very easy way to make a new custom fader group by selecting tracks in the PT edit window:

Select the the tracks that you want to populate your custom fader group. You can do this quickly using the edit window in PT and choose any number of tracks.

Select a BLANK custom fader bank on the icon. Double press the edit button to bring up the name dialog for the custom fader group. Type a name and press enter. Bam. All the tracks you had selected in PT will pop into the group.

This only works when you do this on a blank custom fader bank.

If you have more tracks in your custom fader group than you do faders on your console press the bank/cycle button in the custom group section to bank through the channels.

Alternatively you can set the width of the view of your custom fader groups in the operations menu, to split the console between the track layout in PT and you custom faders. For example I have a 16 fader D-Controll. When I am setting up my custom faders I will go into operations and set my LCF (left custom faders) to 8. Custom faders can be any number of track, but I am only looking at 8 at a time, so I have my 8 regular PT faders on one side, and 8 faders of custom fader group on the other. Then I can select a custom fader bank, hit edit, and select any number of tracks for the custom faders. Since I've set the custom faders view to only 8 faders wide I don't have to worry about the custom group covering up the whole console and me preventing from making further additions to my custom fader group. When I'm done edtiting my groups I change the LCF back to 16 channels, because when I pull up a custom fader group I only want to see that group.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Matt
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 AM

Great info Matt, thanks! :)

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 AM

No problem Joe.

Custom fader groups are great when they are set up, but editing/changing them can be a real pain. I work mostly in episodic TV and I try to do as much of this stuff as possible at the template stage so I only have to think about it once. I make a template that's way bigger than I will actually need, and just delete or hide/make inactive the excess.

Best,
Matt