Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Re: AES in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal herzberg View Post
This was the 17th AES show I've attended since my first one in 1992, and by all means the most depressing one.

<snip>

Aside from catching up with a handful of colleagues and old friends, it was 100% waste of my time and $.
Well, I sort of agree. Besides PT 8, there wasn't much new at all.....at least I didn't see it.

The seminars, tutorials, workshops, etc., were poorly organized. For example, I thought I'd learn a little bit about game audio, but the workshops were on Friday and Sunday, with nothing on Saturday. In the past, these sort of things have been grouped together. Nothing personal against the panelists, but the special events weren't very special, nor did they follow the outlines in the directory.

I came up with the intention of staying the weekend, but was bored to tears and bailed late Saturday after noon on BART to the airport. At least BART is cool. Had a nice meal Friday night with a vendor group.

Mark
Old 10-06-2008, 05:31 PM

YA AES is more like a 1/2 day, maybe 1 day max type of event for me at least. Unless your a vendor I wouldn't want to be there all weekend.

Grab the free magazines, talk to a few people, eat some free candy and make have some drinks and catch a speech or two and I'm outta there. It's been getting smaller feeling each year. At least it feels that way to me.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM

I mean no disrespect here, but wasn't the audio impressions thing initially demonstrated at NAMM early last year (or the year before that?) If so, I know every major composer sent their underlings there to check it out. Everyone was impressed with the software but very unhappy about the samples.

I think the full system price would be around 35-50k if I remember correctly. It requires several computers.

Perhaps the library was tweaked and is now much better?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I mean no disrespect here, but wasn't the audio impressions thing initially demonstrated at NAMM early last year (or the year before that?) If so, I know every major composer sent their underlings there to check it out. Everyone was impressed with the software but very unhappy about the samples.

I think the full system price would be around 35-50k if I remember correctly. It requires several computers.

Perhaps the library was tweaked and is now much better?
No disrespect taken. What I heard was like nothing I've ever heard. I don't know the price but I Do know that he spent months recording samples with nothing but vintage mics. U47s and such were used and it is still in development. I didn't go to Namm last year but it's entirely possible that an earlier version was presented. If you go to the web pages, you'll notice that some are still unavailable so I am sure that it's still a work in progress. Thanks for the heads up though. I will ask Chris what the story is. I will again tell you that the samples I heard were unbelievably great! We shall se won't we. I will know very, very soon.