Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-01-2020, 06:09 AM

Default Re: .ptx file corruption-missing audio and video files- no way to relink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvo3675 View Post
Same problem here. Delivering a mix Thanksgiving Day 2020. Open up the session and backups and all are corrupt. I have to go back to one functioning backup file and remix hours worth of work.

Any solution here AVID?
Which PT version?
Old 12-02-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Re: .ptx file corruption-missing audio and video files- no way to relink-

New to this thread and I had the same bug bite me. Thanksgiving Day and because wife was working I decided to tweak an 83 minute doc I'd been working on. Opened the movie mix and almost everything was gone. Found an untouched backup session a few hours of work back and had to repair. I did use RX7 Connect throughout the project but won't be using it until I see a resolution to this.
BTW, this is the third time this has happened for me over the last two years. Called Avid on the second incident and they acknowledged it and said they were working on it with no solution offered. Have never bothered to call back as I updated after that and it didn't happen again until now. I just updated to the latest PT but my recent crash happened on PT 2019.12 running on OS 10.14.6.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:19 PM

Here we are again,

Pro Tools 2020.12 and still no bug fix for this! AVID, let's get a response here?

What's the deal, we're paying support plans here and getting killed with this one! Help us out!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:54 PM

This just hosed me! I'm running 2020.11 MacOS Catalina. I did a marathon 2 day premix session saved it printed it and sent it off... The mixer wrote me back saying the session was all weird and corrupted. and Sure enough, when I reopened the session on my end, it had all these "corrupted fades" which makes no sense since protools is supposed to create fades on the fly and a bunch of audio was missing/moved in my session! All my auto backups are corrupted and I'm going to have to redo 2 days of work! I created the session from a template the mixer sent me, so from what I've read in the posts, that sounds like a trigger... however, i was not running izotope in any way in the session... so that's out... Any advice on how to recover from this horrible bug would be welcomed!
Old 02-20-2021, 04:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. It's a really awful bug and once it hits, I'm afraid there's no fixing what happened. I strongly recommend starting a support case with Avid and hounding them for a fix. Recently, more and more mixers and sound editors around the world have been experiencing this bug. I also recommend chiming in on the following threads on Twitter and LinkedIn.

https://twitter.com/LucyJSound/statu...92405883002884

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/lucyj...889115648-NNRF

I personally have gotten into the habit of saving my own copies of the .ptx files every hour or so, renaming them and .zipping them in a separate folder. I can't say whether this will work or not. It seems the corruption is systemic and I'm not sure if changing characters in a .ptx file will prevent it from spreading. Avid has dropped the ball on this one and I'm beyond upset that they still haven't found out what's going on here and basically bailed on my support ticket.
Nuendo is starting to look better and better and even though I really love many things about Pro Tools and have been using it for years, It's never been this bad where I potentially derail a post production schedule based on Avid's bad code. Unacceptable. I honestly should have pushed for a refund on the PT Ultimate support for the year, since, they did nothing...
Old 06-30-2021, 08:36 AM

I just ran into this for the first time, lost a full day of work plus all the time I spent troubleshooting. Avid support confirmed it was PT-237298 and urged me to update to the most recent release, but it's still not been fixed, they say "we're currently patching up this issue in the coming releases"

What a terrible bug, I really like the new improvements but fixing this should be the number 1 priority. I'm only grateful I've never run into this before. On the session it happened to I had used RX connect extensively and I have a feeling that may have been the cause. I'm on Mojave.

Is there any idea what causes it? I'd really like to avoid it happening again... It's nuts to me that this has been a known bug for such a long time without a definitive fix.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:20 AM

If it was the issue I was experiencing (after importing session data and closing/reopening, files would be lost), the fix was to open and save all my current sessions and templates so they are all saved in the current version of Pro Tools that I'm running (whatever it is).

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 07-01-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
If it was the issue I was experiencing (after importing session data and closing/reopening, files would be lost), the fix was to open and save all my current sessions and templates so they are all saved in the current version of Pro Tools that I'm running (whatever it is).
So you haven't seen it since you've done that? And if you have to import something you open the source project first to bless it with the current version?
Old 07-06-2021, 04:53 AM

I haven't seen it since. BUT, I haven't been doing nearly as much work that required importing from existing sessions, until just last week. And I haven't updated PTs since importing scenes for this most recent project so it's not really a test I guess.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 10-11-2021, 04:51 PM

Heads up! Pro Tools 21.7.0.127 and was using RX 8.

I noticed the issue without closing the session. Everything was fine until I did an offline mix and split bounce for network delivery. 95% of the session disappeared when the files imported form the bounce. Roughly 6 hours of session backups were corrupt. I've opened a ticket but haven't gotten a response yet. I did get the invalid bounds message the next time I launched. I'd not imported from other sessions this was a fresh template session.

I can confirm that my session file backups started getting smaller. Thankfully I can recover the last large one.
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035

Last edited by acacia; 10-11-2021 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more detail