Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 04-27-2022, 11:45 AM

Default Update & Support Plan expired

Hello, I have a perpetual license although my update plan expired since July 2021. When I'm going to renew my update plan it gives me the choice: Upgrade or move to a subscription: Pro Tools studio 1-year subscription. So, that means I'm getting an update plan for one year, or just a subscription of Pro Tools Studio for one year and then come back to my previous version? Thank you!
Old 04-27-2022, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Update & Support Plan expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaggelis.mak View Post
Hello, I have a perpetual license although my update plan expired since July 2021. When I'm going to renew my update plan it gives me the choice: Upgrade or move to a subscription: Pro Tools studio 1-year subscription. So, that means I'm getting an update plan for one year, or just a subscription of Pro Tools Studio for one year and then come back to my previous version? Thank you!
Upgrade is for perpetual license owners with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan. You basically trade in your perpetual license for a new one and you get 1 year of releases, plug-ins and support. The license won't expire if you don't renew the plan again later.

Subscription provides a new license that will run PT while the subscription is active. If that expires it will no longer authorize PT. You could then go back to your perpetual license to run whatever version it supports.

Check out the Release Limit KB for more info on version support with perpetual licenses and the Pro Tools Licensing FAQ.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Upgrade is for perpetual license owners with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan. You basically trade in your perpetual license for a new one and you get 1 year of releases, plug-ins and support. The license won't expire if you don't renew the plan again later.

Subscription provides a new license that will run PT while the subscription is active. If that expires it will no longer authorize PT. You could then go back to your perpetual license to run whatever version it supports.

Check out the Release Limit KB for more info on version support with perpetual licenses and the Pro Tools Licensing FAQ.
Thank you for your answer and the additional links, they were helpful. I found this: If you own a perpetual license with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan, you can check with Avid Resellers since they can still sell existing stock beyond those dates, and customers with these can redeem them at https://my.avid.com/products/redemption.

So that means I can only buy an update plan from a reseller and not from avid's site if I understand right.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaggelis.mak View Post
So that means I can only buy an update plan from a reseller and not from avid's site if I understand right.
That's right. It's called 'reinstatement' or 'redemption' of a perpetual license. If you can find one.

I bought one last year and I still have it. It has no expiration date, and I wil use it to get back on the current version and support/upgrade plan when the time is right.
Be shure you understand that ordering the "crossgrade" to subscription on Avid store, you will surrender your perpetual forever.
So, now that avid no longer sells perpetuals, the options for expired perp licenses is, stay with the version you have, surrender it and get a subscription, or find a reseller with reinstatement codes.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
...Be shure you understand that ordering the "crossgrade" to subscription on Avid store, you will surrender your perpetual forever....
Note that Crossgrades (surrender a perpetual license for discount on the first 2 years of subscription) were discontinued last year.