Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-01-2021, 03:54 PM
Cowboy Bob's Avatar
Cowboy Bob Cowboy Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 391
Default Registration problems - unable to extend Update Plan or get 3P plugins

Title says it all. I love this thing. Sound quality is really good, IMO, and the hybrid engine is a really clever implementation.

However...

I tried three times to register the damn thing and it kept failing. Yes I opened a ticket. Third time it took, but it would not let me extend my perpetual license as I had planned. It kept telling me I wasn’t qualified to extend. Don’t get that. I am current until like the end of ‘21.

Ok not a huge thing I guess, so now I have a license of HEAT, and the complete plugin bundle, but none of the bonus software. I already have most of the plugins from the complete bundle, except for like the “Pro” series..(Pro multiband comp etc.) and I do like Smack on certain sources though.

I wasn’t sure if it had to be registered before firing it up to allow firmware update. I guess not, because after two failed attempts at registering I said screw it, let’s see if it’ll run. It does, and does so very well.

The long and short of it is; I think I got it registered, but I got none of the additional software that was supposed to come with it.
__________________

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Standard (2021.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (current version)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Catalina |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |


Last edited by jeffro; 01-22-2021 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Similar threads merged and subject updated for visibility.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2021, 11:50 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,275
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Title says it all. I love this thing. Sound quality is really good, IMO, and the hybrid engine is a really clever implementation.

However...

I tried three times to register the damn thing and it kept failing. Yes I opened a ticket. Third time it took, but it would not let me extend my perpetual license as I had planned. It kept telling me I wasn’t qualified to extend. Don’t get that. I am current until like the end of ‘21.

Ok not a huge thing I guess, so now I have a license of HEAT, and the complete plugin bundle, but none of the bonus software. I already have most of the plugins from the complete bundle, except for like the “Pro” series..(Pro multiband comp etc.) and I do like Smack on certain sources though.

I wasn’t sure if it had to be registered before firing it up to allow firmware update. I guess not, because after two failed attempts at registering I said screw it, let’s see if it’ll run. It does, and does so very well.

The long and short of it is; I think I got it registered, but I got none of the additional software that was supposed to come with it.
Man I am jealous My dealer is still waiting delivery of the units he ordered weeks ago .

But the registration thing is a concern.

I too am wanting to extend my current perpetual (until Jan 30) Ultimate license.

Not quite clear on what you are saying though , so the license you had was PT Regular or Ultimate ? And it is a perpetual license and is current on the annual "Support and Update Plan" until the the "end of 21" yes ?

And before this registration you did not have Heat or the complete Plugin bundle but now you do ?

And to clarify in Your Avid Account "My Products page you have only one (your old PT perpetual) license in your account ? And do not have a second Carbon bundled PT Regular subscription license with the additional 3rd party plugins

So have you checked the expiration date on your PT license My Products page to see if it is now until the end of 2022 (1 year extension on current license) If it doesn't say that,,,, then I sounds like it was not "extended " and you will definitely want to get ahold of Avid Customer support.
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.3 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2021, 01:34 PM
Cowboy Bob's Avatar
Cowboy Bob Cowboy Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 391
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Man I am jealous My dealer is still waiting delivery of the units he ordered weeks ago .
Yeah I thought I was ordering to back order, for like 30 days, but they got a shipment the day I ordered, off one was sent. It arrived on 31 December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
But the registration thing is a concern.

I too am wanting to extend my current perpetual (until Jan 30) Ultimate license.

Not quite clear on what you are saying though , so the license you had was PT Regular or Ultimate ? And it is a perpetual license and is current on the annual "Support and Update Plan" until the the "end of 21" yes ?
It is a standard perpetual Pro Tools license. Support plan up to date through October of 2021. I would enter the redemption code that comes on the black card with the unit. At first two tries it gave me an error that said the number was invalid. It wasn’t. Third time it took, but told me I was no allowed to extend my current plan. (Supposed to be able to extend current plans of standard or ultimate for 1 year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
And before this registration you did not have Heat or the complete Plugin bundle but now you do ?
Well sort of. I had the complete plugin bundle but had not renewed it, so it was out of date. No HEAT. But now in my iLok has a new authorization for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
And to clarify in Your Avid Account "My Products page you have only one (your old PT perpetual) license in your account ? And do not have a second Carbon bundled PT Regular subscription license with the additional 3rd party plugins
. That is correct. My Products page DOES show the carbon, but no 3rd party plugins. There is a link for the Complete Plugin Bundle, and Carbon documentation, however.

I really wanted to extend my support plan, and I most likely would have renewed the complete bundle. I didn’t really want HEAT, but I do want the 3rd party plugs offered.

I am sure Avid can sort it. Only the first issue I’ve had in all these years with Avid (Digidesign), so while a PITA, I am not too upset.

The unit itself is stellar in my opinion. It really does sound good. I’ve always been a fan of the tighter integration with Avid software and hardware, when the hardware can meet my needs.

Even though I’ve only had the unit a few days, I’ve explored it enough to really appreciate how clever the hybrid engine is. HDX was not on the horizon for me, but with Carbon, I can use DSP when I need to, and native when not. It fits my growing workflow extremely well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
So have you checked the expiration date on your PT license My Products page to see if it is now until the end of 2022 (1 year extension on current license) If it doesn't say that,,,, then I sounds like it was not "extended " and you will definitely want to get ahold of Avid Customer support.
It has not changed, no. I filed a registration issue with Avid, yes. I’ll give ‘em until Monday afternoon before I start to bitch too loudly.
__________________

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Standard (2021.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (current version)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Catalina |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |


Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 01-20-2021 at 05:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2021, 02:51 PM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,275
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Yeah I thought I was ordering to back order, for like 30 days, but they got a shipment the day I ordered, off one was sent. It arrived on 31 January.
It is a standard perpetual Pro Tools license. Support plan up to date through October of 2021. I would enter the redemption code that comes on the black card with the unit. At first two tries it gave me an error that said the number was invalid. It wasn’t. Third time it took, but told me I was no allowed to extend my current plan. (Supposed to be able to extend current plans of standard or ultimate for 1 year.
Yes I read in Avid's documentation
and heard stated on several videos that you will have the choice to choose either the Bundled PT regular license which is 1 year (subscription) license but will revert to a perpetual at the end of the year if you do not re-subscribe, But if you do not re-subscribe, it will revert to a perpetual license at what ever update level it is at that time However as I understand it you will lose the Complete Plugin Bundle and the additional 3rd party plugins unless you buy them

Or you choose to keep both the bundled license and your current license
Or you can extend your current license PT Reg or Ultimate for 1 additional which is what I am going to do





Quote:
Well sort of. I had the complete plugin bundle but had not renewed it, so it was out of date. No HEAT. But now in my iLok has a new authorization for both.

. That is correct. My Products page DOES show the carbon, but no 3rd party plugins. There is a link for the Complete Plugin Bundle, and Carbon documentation, however.
I wonder if the 3rd party plugins are just built into the Bundled PT regular license so that they may not show separately from Bundled PT license in your Products Page like the Complete Plug in bundle does ??

Quote:
I really wanted to extend my support plan, and I most likely would have renewed the complete bundle. I didn’t really want HEAT, but I do want the 3rd party plugs offered.

I am sure Avid can sort it. Only the first issue I’ve had in all these years with Avid (Digidesign), so while a PITA, I am not too upset.
yes I am sure they can sort it out.

BTW when I was downloading all my Products to go on my new iMac I had the same issue with Meoldyne Essential for like three or 4 tries it kept saying the serial number was in the wrong format then the next day I tried it again and it accepted it ???????????????


[QUOTE]
Quote:
The unit itself is stellar in my opinion. It really does sound good. I’ve always been a fan of the tighter integration with Avid software and hardware, when the hardware can meet my needs.

Even though I’ve only had the unit a few days, I’ve explored it enough to really appreciate how clever the hybrid engine is. HDX was not on the horizon for me, but with Carbon, I can use DSP when I need to, and native when not. It fits my growing workflow extremely well.



This is all very encouraging can't wait
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.3 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2021, 05:30 AM
trimix trimix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 20
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Yes I read in Avid's documentation and heard stated on several videos that you will have the choice to choose either the Bundled PT regular license which is 1 year (subscription) license but will revert to a perpetual at the end of the year if you do not re-subscribe, But if you do not re-subscribe, it will revert to a perpetual license at what ever update level it is at that time However as I understand it you will lose the Complete Plugin Bundle and the additional 3rd party plugins unless you buy them

Or you choose to keep both the bundled license and your current license
Or you can extend your current license PT Reg or Ultimate for 1 additional which is what I am going to do

I wonder if the 3rd party plugins are just built into the Bundled PT regular license so that they may not show separately from Bundled PT license in your Products Page like the Complete Plug in bundle does ??
After selecting the new license option, I ended up with three 'areas' under the Pro Tools Carbon drop-down in 'My Products';

- The permanent Pro Tools Carbon hardware registration with links for Pro Tools Plug-ins, UVI Plug-ins and the Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle.

- The Pro Tools Carbon subscription registration area with links for Pro Tools 2020.12, Pro Tools Drivers, Pro Tools Plug-ins, Pro Tools Demo Session, and then the same three links sections from the hardware area.

- The third party redemption section with codes and links for the bundled software from Arturia, Embody, McDSP, NI, Plugin Alliance, and UVI.

The only software that ends with the subscription after one year is HEAT, Falcon and the Complete Plug-in Bundle. It appears the third party redemption codes are all for permanent licenses, including UVI Model D, though you'd need to use that with UVI workstation after Falcon expires.

I rolled the dice on Carbon as I use an unapproved mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15" quad-core 2.5, but it showed up immediately after enabling AVB in AMS. Carbon shows up both as a system interface and a 'Reserved for Pro Tools' interface, so I'm able to share it between Pro Tools and another DAW simultaneously, which I didn't realize was possible.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2021, 06:47 AM
Cowboy Bob's Avatar
Cowboy Bob Cowboy Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 391
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks! SOLVED...KINDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Yes I read in Avid's documentation
and heard stated on several videos that you will have the choice to choose either the Bundled PT regular license which is 1 year (subscription) license but will revert to a perpetual at the end of the year if you do not re-subscribe, But if you do not re-subscribe, it will revert to a perpetual license at what ever update level it is at that time However as I understand it you will lose the Complete Plugin Bundle and the additional 3rd party plugins unless you buy them

Or you choose to keep both the bundled license and your current license
Or you can extend your current license PT Reg or Ultimate for 1 additional which is what I am going to do

I wonder if the 3rd party plugins are just built into the Bundled PT regular license so that they may not show separately from Bundled PT license in your Products Page like the Complete Plug in bundle does ??

yes I am sure they can sort it out.

BTW when I was downloading all my Products to go on my new iMac I had the same issue with Meoldyne Essential for like three or 4 tries it kept saying the serial number was in the wrong format then the next day I tried it again and it accepted it ???????????????

This is all very encouraging can't wait
OK I took your approach to try to ge get this thing registered, you know trying it on another day. IT WORKED, kinda.

It still told me that I did not have a current plan to extend, BUT I CLEARLY DO AND AM CURRENT as I have said before. There was no way to quit or back out of the registration to try to correct anything.

NOW I have two Carbons in My Products section. This first one with no SW and the second one with the correct serial number of the unit, AND all of the SW AND and new Pro Tools subscription which I did NOT want. As stated before I wanted to extend my current support plan.

At this point however, I'd be happy if they just get the registration straightened
out so no one else has issues. Using HEAT for 12 months, and the complete plugin package for 12 months ALMOST is a wash for me. I still would have rather my current support plan have been extended though.

I really do love this unit though. Well done Avid
__________________

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Standard (2021.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (current version)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Catalina |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2021, 07:11 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,275
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
After selecting the new license option, I ended up with three 'areas' under the Pro Tools Carbon drop-down in 'My Products';

- The permanent Pro Tools Carbon hardware registration with links for Pro Tools Plug-ins, UVI Plug-ins and the Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle.

- The Pro Tools Carbon subscription registration area with links for Pro Tools 2020.12, Pro Tools Drivers, Pro Tools Plug-ins, Pro Tools Demo Session, and then the same three links sections from the hardware area.

- The third party redemption section with codes and links for the bundled software from Arturia, Embody, McDSP, NI, Plugin Alliance, and UVI.

The only software that ends with the subscription after one year is HEAT, Falcon and the Complete Plug-in Bundle. It appears the third party redemption codes are all for permanent licenses, including UVI Model D, though you'd need to use that with UVI workstation after Falcon expires.

I rolled the dice on Carbon as I use an unapproved mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15" quad-core 2.5, but it showed up immediately after enabling AVB in AMS. Carbon shows up both as a system interface and a 'Reserved for Pro Tools' interface, so I'm able to share it between Pro Tools and another DAW simultaneously, which I didn't realize was possible.
Hey thanks so I went back and read the FAQ on Carbon and Yes I was incorrect about loosing the 3rd party plugins on conversion of the bundled subscription license to perpetual
I have gone back and forth on this because I have a current Ultimate license for which I get a good discount for annual renewal from my Pro Audio and Avid reseller dealer, and with that plan I get the Complete Plugin Bundle included. So I am leaning towards just extending that. I guess am not sure that additional 3 party plugins are really worth the price I would have to pay to keep my Ultimate license current again for a year at the end of this month. That and the fact that choosing the option to add the bundled license and both licenses makes little sense unless you have two complete PT systems (which I don't) given you can only run one license on any one system.
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.3 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-03-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2021, 07:45 AM
Cowboy Bob's Avatar
Cowboy Bob Cowboy Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 391
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
...both licenses makes little sense unless you have two complete PT systems (which I don't) given you can only one one license on any one system.
I do, but the other is my portable rig, a laptop, a rack case and my trusty 003, and only one at a time is ever in use, so the additional license is moot also for me.

I'd prefer to get it straightened out, and add the year to my current support plan. That's the end goal right now.

Good luck with your's when you finally get it.
__________________

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Standard (2021.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (current version)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Catalina |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2021, 10:21 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,275
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
I do, but the other is my portable rig, a laptop, a rack case and my trusty 003, and only one at a time is ever in use, so the additional license is moot also for me.

I'd prefer to get it straightened out, and add the year to my current support plan. That's the end goal right now.

Good luck with your's when you finally get it.
Hey thanks , in anticipation I even have the box I made for it, ready and waiting.. Sits right on top of my rack of outboard units it will plug into......

__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.3 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2021, 11:28 AM
Cowboy Bob's Avatar
Cowboy Bob Cowboy Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 391
Default Re: Love Carbon but registering sucks!

@K Roche

Nice.

Mine is racked and I've been using it today. I patched in Eleven Rack and recorded a few bars.

Then I plugged right into Inst 1, and put the same amp in Eleven MKII and the FX on the channel. Played the same few bars. Very nice. Felt very natural. I am very well pleased.

OH and I messed with HEAT. I kind of like what it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1144.jpg (68.8 KB, 0 views)
__________________

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Standard (2021.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (current version)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Catalina |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renewed my plan, but Pro Tools HD Plan license didn't update [SOLVED] toolz Licensing & Accounts 6 02-14-2018 12:07 AM
Plugins Support Plan vs Upgrade only plan LizziF Licensing & Accounts 1 07-21-2016 01:19 PM
Waves Update Plan could be a reference for PT Update Plan jacko Licensing & Accounts 0 12-06-2015 03:19 AM
OMS/AMT8/USB Extend It problems protooleo Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 09-13-2002 12:00 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com