Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Can't assign LCR track to 5.1 bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cargo Cult View Post
For perspective:
The surround mixer built into PT is something like 15 years old now, so you have to consider the context. Nobody mixed films in PT back then and almost every sound recording ever made was mono or stereo.

So yeah, they could have had a little more foresight and definitely missed an opportunity, but for the time it was OK.
Good point. You sometimes forget that PT is one of the oldest DAWs having survived till today. That plus the fact that they have to keep parameters compatible backward and forward in versions probably makes it hard to change things very deep in the DNA of PT.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:07 AM

[QUOTE=Frank Kruse;2230507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post

For an LCR or any other multi-channel panner that would mean 3 or 4 or 5 panners per leg per track which would look and work completely silly with the panner concept that PT follows.
I'd love it if Pro Tools did this. With separate faders for each leg too
Old 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM

Digging up an old post here .. great info in this thread.

I am returning to surround mixing after almost 10 years so I had totally forgotten some of these 'unwritten rules' of channel routing in Pro Tools. Certainly the documentation could be improved in this area to give more practical examples of surround routing in the context of post workflows.

Not to hi-jack this thread but I do have a related question. ..

I have setup a dialogue bus as LCR and I would like to send it to a stereo reverb bus. The stereo reverb (returns) to a quad sub-path in my 5.0 dialogue stem.

I cannot seem to use a stereo bus and a send from an LCR source. The only paths available when I try and make that send assignment are other LCR paths or mono paths.

I hoped to keep the panning information from the LCR dialogue bus so that if I send to the stereo reverb the source panning is intact. After reading this thread this doesn't seem possible.

Is spanner still my only option ? It seems like panning overkill although the iPad controller and other features seem great.

Any thoughts ?
Cheers
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Its another annoying limitation of PT.

I like to send Stereo Auxes too, to preserve the L/R content to true stereo reverbs.

It wouldn't be hard for PT to pick up the L/R from a path bigger than stereo, but no advancement has been made in the routing and panning department for many years.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't be hard for PT to pick up the L/R from a path bigger than stereo, but no advancement has been made in the routing and panning department for many years.
With Dolby settling on Pro Tools for Atmos, Tom Graham going to Dolby, and a long quiet with no major new HD features... seems pretty obvious that the next major version of PTHD will include big improvements in the panning department, right?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:04 AM

Hi Reichman,

I didn't know Tom Graham had moved to Dolby, interesting, I've always had a lot of respect for him.

Yes I agree, its pretty obvious those improvements will be coming.

I hope they will include new routing options apart from just wider paths and some kind of automate-able channel matrix and /or sends routing would be the icing on the cake.