Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 AM

Default Using Reaper to Host VST VI's in Pro Tools

As always with the digital world, there's a dozen ways to do anything. Here's how I use Reaper to host my VST virtual instruments from within a PT instrument track. Hope it helps any of you wanting to do this.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Using Reaper to Host VST VI's in Pro Tools

Interesting! I've been doing almost the exact same thing for about two years now. So far, it's been working well.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownotesinc View Post
Interesting! I've been doing almost the exact same thing for about two years now. So far, it's been working well.
Situation is that most people here haven't had to do this before - b/c they had compatable versions of the VI's but since several of the manufactures haven't or won't go to AAX-x64 this is where reaper bcame a revelant resource to help people meet their end.

Obviously you can still host VST based VI's in reaper as well as the other formats that are not yet AAX-x64
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Hosting VI's in REAPER has been a go-to solution for a ton of us for almost 6+ years now since the PT 7 era. A few session templates could probably still be found in the old LE forum somewhere and will still work. The brilliant devs at Cockos were great to work with on this during their own betas. I think I drove schwa nuts a few times with my nit picking to get it going right in PT. They kept the spirits up with some humorous names of their beta builds that included Pro Tools though.

It's hard to believe many of us have been using the ReWire solution in PT for over 11 years now. Avid had a competing solution called DirectConnect back in the day. The 3rd party VI developers didn't adopt this at all. I recall only about 3 who jumped aboard. We then petitioned here on the forum, more like rioted actually , for ReWire support. This was before there was a clause in the forum terms of use that prohibited petitions and polls. We finally got our ReWire support in PT and I knew this would be our back door to getting VSTi's going in Pro Tools. From there I approached Angus at FXpansion, and a few others, to develop a VSTi to ReWire adaptor. Creating bridges like this from different plug-in formats was pretty much his specialty and only product back then. He emailed me back 2 days later and had the first working VST to ReWire Adaptor up and running. We finally got our VSTi hosting in PT. DirectConnect eventually morphed into HTDM and other parts of PT, and the VST to ReWire Adaptor morphed into the VST to RTAS Adaptor. The rest as we say is history. Thought I'd throw in a bit of PT history trivia here for my first post of the day.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Great backstory Shan

I don't use it but i expect i will soon.
Does it save the load on PT at all ?
Say, rewiring Kontakt as opposed to using it rtas… AAX
Or any other VSTi for that matter.

Thanks DonaldM for the link
Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Awesome video DonaldM. It looks like the VI hosts are here to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Great backstory Shan
+1. Really great to have guys like Shan in the PT community. Using VEP5 now but I learned about Reaper ReWire, and Vanilla Disc Cache from him, both tremendously enhancing my Vanilla workflow.

Shan, if you are ever in Atlanta, all you can eat vanilla ice cream cones on me.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Great backstory Shan
I felt like an old DUC telling that one. Hey you APAChickens, get off my damn lawn!!

Quote:
I don't use it but i expect i will soon.
Does it save the load on PT at all ?
Say, rewiring Kontakt as opposed to using it rtas… AAX
Or any other VSTi for that matter.

Thanks DonaldM for the link
I haven't checked recently but on my old 2008 Mac Pro 1,1 and Q6600 PC, I recall REAPER using only 2% CPU in the PT system usage window during some benchmark tests. I would imagine on a current i7 this would be very well under 1%. There are still many benefits using ReWire to host VI's:
  • Can host 64-bit, 32-bit or any-bit plug-ins in any version of PT. The bit depth doesn't matter.
  • Can stream any sample rate, bit-depth or type of audio files from VI samplers/sample players etc.
  • Flac, wav, ogg, mp3, and all other audio formats supported no matter what the bit-depth/sample rate of the PT session is.
  • Can do offline rendering/bounce in PT.
  • VI's are hosted outside of PT and can use as much RAM as needed. Good for older 32-bit versions of PT.
  • Works in any version of PT that supports ReWire.
  • If the plug-in crashes, PT won't crash.
  • If PT crashes, the plug-in won't crash, hence one can save the plug-in preset if necessary before closing.
  • Takes advantage of and uses Dynamic Plug-In Processing in PT.
I'm sure I missed a few other points. I always found my own system to run a bit smoother having the VI's hosted outside of PT on some of my older computers. I start with AAX/RTAS as my first step whenever possible though. It's good to have alternative tools to use in the audio toolbox.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 PM

So was the main use for vst instruments (that weren't RTAS) or to run lighter loads in PT?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:55 PM

As for myself, I start with AAX/RTAS as my first step if they're available. In the past I noticed many NI VI's operated better when hosted compared to being instantiated as native RTAS in PT.

Shane

Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Confirmed.

Darryl Ramm