Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Auto Spot to ORIGINAL time stamp instead of user?

This might be a stupid question, but I've rarely used auto spot...

When i turn on Auto and click on a region, that region jumps to the spot int he timeline listed in the clip's USER time stamp. I need them to go to the location listed in the ORIGINAL TIME STAMP.

I can do this by manually clicking on each in spot mode and clicking the arrow, but I have like 9000 files to resync and hoped to use auto spot to save a few steps.

Is there a setting somewhere to tell auto spot to use ORIGINAL stamp instead of USER??
Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Auto Spot to ORIGINAL time stamp instead of user?

For anyone who ever finds this question while searching...

It isn't possible. Auto spot actually just spots a given region to the current incoming timecode (like when chasing) so it's borderline useless.

Would be nice to have a way to import a couple hundred takes of multitrack location recorder files and have them assemble to the correct time of day timestamp on their own...
Old 12-22-2012, 01:16 AM

Not sure if this is what you mean, but:

If you're in spot mode and select the hand-tool and click on a region in the timeline once you get a spot menu. The original TC of the. Lip is also displayed. If you click on that it gets copied to the spot tc.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskeeper View Post

When i turn on Auto and click on a region, that region jumps to the spot int he timeline listed in the clip's USER time stamp. I need them to go to the location listed in the ORIGINAL TIME STAMP.

I can do this by manually clicking on each in spot mode and clicking the arrow, but I have like 9000 files to resync and hoped to use auto spot to save a few steps.

Is there a setting somewhere to tell auto spot to use ORIGINAL stamp instead of USER??
Not possible. But requested for years.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...-TC/30680-3779
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM

I'm not sure if this helps, as I am a little confused about your question, When, for instance I am mixing an orchestral performance recorded over 3 nights, 4 shows, I'll get an .omf that is a rough 2 mix from the video editor, these files have the original tc embedded, I'll bring in my multi-track sessions from the performances used, I then copy the timeline from the editor and spot these to the mutl track, now what I can't do, if this is your meaning, I can't spot back to the editors timeline, usually starting at 01;00:00:00, since the multi tracks are grouped together I highlight the editors cut and shift click on the multis, then command-e, and drag to the correct position in the timeline. Sorry if I didn't hit the mark on your question, but maybe?
Old 03-14-2022, 02:53 AM

Hyep. Spotting in Pro Tools is still as stupid as ever. Glad I normally get to use REAPER now!
Old 04-23-2022, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskeeper View Post

VT is BW!! If you have Ediload you can batch spot wav files to source tc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2022, 09:10 AM

SoundWorx's answer may not be completed "automatic" (not sure what we mean by "auto spot" as I'm totally new to TC here) but it does work and is relatively quick unless you have a zillion of them to do.

select Hand mode for mouse/cursor/tool option,
click on region,
["spot dialog" box appears],
click the up arrow to the right of "Original Time Stamp" and it will shoot over to where it originally was.

You can also use right click then select "spot..." in the drop down if you don't want to use the spot mode for some reason.