Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Access Violations and Random Crashes

I am experiencing crashes and "Access Violation" errors, and it has gotten to the point that the crashes happen as soon as I try to change anything with in the session, ie. adding a track, changing value on a plug in, changing the tool selection, etc. Also I notice that in windows that have warnings such as Missing files, Missing plug ins, the text is missing. As well as the text on Plug in windows (Track, Plug In, Preset, etc.)

Computer model and processor speed is MacBookPro (17') 2.16GHz 2 Gig memory
OS version 10.6.4
Digidesign or M-Audio hardware model Digi 002r & M-Box 2 Pro
Pro Tools version 8.0.4
Amount of RAM installed 2 Gig
I have 3 Firewire 400 drive all formatted HFS+ Journaled, cables are all Firewire 6 pin to 6 pin, lengths are 4", 12", 24".

I have tried different cables, using only one drive (all 3 drives one at a time), changing the order of connection (Interface first, drive first), cleared preferences and databases using the tool from the Setup and General Troubleshooting thread zapped PRAM, repaired permissions, and even reinstalled ProTools.

I've seen various threads with these prolems and I hope someone can offer a solution.

Regards,
Steve McDonald
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Access Violations and Random Crashes

I'm having similar problems. Sometimes the Access Violations crash pro tools and then it won't even open unless I restart the computer, then when it does open, it acts as if my preferences were deleted...

Those have subsided, not sure why, I haven't changed anything. But I do get access violations when switching channels on my MCU. Not sure if this has something to do with the fact that both it and my axiom pro are being used as control surfaces at the same time or not... but luckily this access violation does not crash pro tools and is just a hiccup.

In other threads that I have seen some of these errors occur when you upgrade your operating system without doing a complete reformat/reinstall. If/when you went from 10.5 to 10.6 did you upgrade over your current installation?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
In other threads that I have seen some of these errors occur when you upgrade your operating system without doing a complete reformat/reinstall. If/when you went from 10.5 to 10.6 did you upgrade over your current installation?
That solution seems a bit extreme, it is almost like saying rather than fix a problem just start from scratch.

I have now tried removing all plug ins except Digi, still no better. At this point I'm dead in the water and have some work backing up.
I've submitted a report to Tech Support and am hoping for a response soon.

Steve McDonald
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Well it seems I have a solution, thanks Digi. This is from Tech Support and it is currently working, at least for an hour.

"Hi,

This is usually and issue with duplicate fonts on the system, the user account in Mac OS, or an incompatible plug-in.

For the fonts issue look in MacHD/Library/Fonts folder and your User/Library/Fonts folder to see if there are any instances of duplicate fonts I there are delete the duplicates from the user font folder."

Hopefully this may help someone else.
Now back to work,
Steve McDonald
Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 AM

no duplicate fonts here...

clean system install.

plugs up to date. . but there are some NOT on the compatibility page.

for me the problam is pretty much happens regularly when I am doing a couple of things.

doing a buch of edits and undos back to back... recently adjusting the length of a region with the time trimmer. then undo then trying again and maybe once more. . then on the next bit. . change, undo, change again, undo. . then BAM access violation.

I have zipped my log files and my plug in version and listed the ones NOT on the compatibility chart.

http://www.shiftedmusic.com/digi/Jay...nd_logfile.zip

of course using the prefs delete app halps. . but sure enough a bunch more edits and undos and it will happen again.

I used to get them a lot on my G5. . thinking it was just old code and old computer messing with each other.

Current System

Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.53
OS 10.6.3
4g ram
addition monitor Dell FP2001

Connections and Drives
FW 800 (Glyph cable) to
Drive 1 Glyph GT050Q enclosure with Raptor 10K 80 gig (Audio Drive)
From Drive 1 FW 400 (Granit Digital Cable) to Digi 003 rack
From Drive 1 FW 800 (Granit Digital Cable) Glyph GT050Q enclosure with 500 gig seagate stock drive (Sample Library)

All drives formatted and cloned in the past 2 months and several over the Audio drive formatted with Apple Disk Utility 4 days ago
Sample Library formatted Apple Disk utility 6 weeks ago

All drives mac osx journaled - guid partition