Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Volume question using instrument track

I am trying to use an Alesis keyboard into PTLE7 and I am going out of the keyboard into the 1/4 inputs on 2 and 3 in the PT hardware.
I am not able to get any volume save barely a sound and I have the gain turned up and the slider turned up on the software and am not getting anything. Any suggestions before I resort to the manual
Old 04-14-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Volume question using instrument track

What hardware do you have?

You should use one of the built-in stereo pairs for the input, it'll be easier to monitor in PT that way (use inputs 1-2 or 3-4 etc. using 2-3 means you need 2 mono tracks or you have to change your I/O settings).

You also want to use an Aux track for this, not an instrument track. Instrument tracks are for using Soft-synths and other internal sound modules (plug-in instruments).

Reading the manual is always a good idea too, you would've found this info in the first couple of chapters.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:

You also want to use an Aux track for this, not an instrument track. Instrument tracks are for using Soft-synths and other internal sound modules (plug-in instruments).

Reading the manual is always a good idea too, you would've found this info in the first couple of chapters.
You meant AUDIO track, right? An aux track won't record a darn thing unless it's output is routed somewhere else.

If you're using the 002, then don't forget to switch the inputs from mic to line via the grey buttons on the front.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Not true, an Instrument track combines both a midi and aux track. so you have the MIDI output selector in the instrument section of the mix window set to the instrument being triggered and the input selector in the audio section should be assigned to whatever inputs are sourcing the audio for the triggered device. you can then recrod a midi performance onto the instrument track.

you still need to bus to an audio track to record the audio though
Old 04-14-2006, 10:10 AM

Right, I was kinda bypassing that part to try and make it simpler for him, but yes, you can actually do it with an Instrument track. I recommended the Aux track since it's the easiest way to test if the signal level is coming in right (bypassing any MIDI functions) and it doesn't require you to bus anything anywhere to hear your signal (which is also true of an Instrument track, but I've found from my beginner clients that Instrument tracks are very confusing for some reason - I think since you see MIDI but monitor Audio).