Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: neumann U87 users

Yes, you're right, like Fletch, he sells stuff, and would prefer to sell new stuff I'm sure.

I do think the U87ai gets a bad rap, I think it's a great mic.

I have heard from many users though that the old vs new 87 thing is highly overblown and that they are closer than discussions like these would lead a reader to believe. I've never A/B'd them so I couldn't say.

Personally, I wanna U67 and a KM56 or KM54 and I'll be done
Old 11-16-2003, 10:24 AM

I think like a lot of these things - the difference between new and old often depends on ‘which” old one you’re comparing, and how well it’s been taken care of in the last 30 years. Add to the fact that a lot of old gear varied from piece to piece as well - and the whole thing becomes a real crap shoot.

Even if there is a noticeable difference between new and old, weather that difference is "better" or "worse" - just depends on who’s doing the listening.

I’m glad Neumann still makes U87’s, and that UA still makes their classic gear - so as a user... I can just plug in and be happy - without worrying about the pitfalls of buying old gear.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I think like a lot of these things - the difference between new and old often depends on ‘which” old one you’re comparing, and how well it’s been taken care of in the last 30 years. Add to the fact that a lot of old gear varied from piece to piece as well - and the whole thing becomes a real crap shoot.

Even if there is a noticeable difference between new and old, weather that difference is "better" or "worse" - just depends on who’s doing the listening.

I’m glad Neumann still makes U87’s, and that UA still makes their classic gear - so as a user... I can just plug in and be happy - without worrying about the pitfalls of buying old gear.

Excellent point bassmac...I've played old Fender amps that sucked and ones that didn't. And U47s are legendary not only for how great a mic they were, but for how hard it is to find one that still sounds great

Old 11-16-2003, 03:03 PM

bassmac I couldn't agree more, as a UA user (own a m-610 and 2108, and used their 1176) its great to get a classic sound without dealing with the used market, and the abuse or pampering of older equipment. I've heard many a sessions using a U87Ai, and quite frankly I really wouldn't look back cause I'm quite pleased with the newer models. A few years ago I was in the market to find a racked pair of DBX 160vu's, I love the charector it gives but these pieces are really unreliable, so instead of buying a pair which I didn't know how long it was going to last me before it goes to the repair shop, I got a BLUE cactus mic which turned to be a much better investment.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:11 AM

Hi-

Not that you need another opinion, especially from a non-golden ear type, but I've been using a U87ai in my little project studio for years for vocals, mandolin, classical guitar, baritone uke, dobro, violin, sax, flute, clarinet, shakers, as a room mic with djembe, etc. and found the results pleasing.

One of the few things I have not had good luck with my U87 is for very loud group vocals- for that I use an AKG 414 in bidirectional mode with the singers on both sides. Also sometimes it just doesn't work on a particular singer, in which case I'll try a 414, a neumann TLM 193, or even a shure 57, or a sennheiser 441. If I had other mics, I'd try them too.

It has been a well-behaved, low maintenance mic since I bought it new about a decade ago. Though it is not a technical consideration- clients like it, because they have just enough brand awareness for that big nickel colored Neumann mic to register with them as a "good" mic. Unfortunately, client perception is part of the equation.

Good luck,

JG