How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 04:16 PM

Default Pro Tools HD/IO inputs routing

Hi all,

I'm looking at the Pro Tools HD/IO interface's ports at the back and I'm confused. I see Analogue input sockets - they almost look like an rs422 ports. What's the normal routing in a music studio, from guitar to pro tools?

My guess is, Guitar goes through external amps compressors whatever, then go to an analogue mixing desk, then that desk somehow connects to the Pro Tools HD/IO audio interface? Not sure. I'm trying to understand how a microphone connects to one of these interfaces. With the pro tools carbon for example you have a simple XLR/Jack interface.

Forgive my limited understanding here. I'm curious to know how this all works!

Screenshot 2022-03-09 000525.jpg
Old 03-08-2022, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD/IO inputs routing

The one you picture is referred to as the 16x16 analog model(also available as 8x8x8 and all digital). Those are DB-25 connectors and they are very common on audio interfaces. Each 25 pin connector allows for 8 channels of balanced audio on a very compact connection. They are line level and require some kind of preamp. On the analog input, with the proper cable, you can connect almost any preamp or mixer(a preamp is a must, a mixer is not needed). On the 8x8x8 version, you can connect 8 analog IO and 8 digital IO(on the same style connector, BUT in AES digital format. Or, you can use the lightpipe IO, aka "ADAT").

I noticed you are posting a bunch and rather than spreading yourself all over the DUC, why don't you describe what you wish to make happen(IOW, what do you need to do, how many inputs and outputs do you need, what's your budget and what do you own already that you wish to keep using). That way, us old-timers can try to steer you in the right direction.

In case you were not aware, the HD IO units MUST connect to an HDX card, or an HDN card, or the HDN Thunderbolt box(they have no direct connection to the computer)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-09-2022, 09:51 AM

Hey Albee, thank you very much for taking the time to write such an informative post. That explains an awful lot. Of course, you wouldn't be able to fit that many XLR ports in that small of a space, the DB-25 connectors make perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

I noticed you are posting a bunch and rather than spreading yourself all over the DUC, why don't you describe what you wish to make happen(IOW, what do you need to do, how many inputs and outputs do you need, what's your budget and what do you own already that you wish to keep using). That way, us old-timers can try to steer you in the right direction.
I'm mainly on the video forum posting a lot. I'm just a curious video editor that has many questions like this one, completely out of curiosity gained when walking into sound suites. I hope that's okay!
Old 03-09-2022, 12:37 PM

Absolutely! Just want to see you get the best info

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-10-2022, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Absolutely! Just want to see you get the best info
Very kind of you, Thank you!
Old 03-23-2022, 07:40 AM

I must say that I really appreciate your curiosity and willingness to learn about the audio side of things. I am always curious and wanting to learn about video workflows, coming from the audio side. I think if we all learn as much as we can about what other departments do, it will only serve to increase collaboration and cooperation.