Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Default Mono audio tracks + stereo aux track = panning issues! Help please!

Hello :)

Basically I've been having a lot of problems with panning in Protools. I use Guitar Rig 4 (in stereo, maybe that's the problem?) on an aux track to record guitars onto mono audio tracks. I then render each guitar track so the guitar sound is permanent.

However, when I export these tracks into another session (as mono audio tracks) and send them through a stereo aux for EQ and compression, and pan them left and right, the problems arise.

Basically when I'm listening to it back in Protools the stereo imaging is fine - the guitars are panned dead left and right like I want them to be. However, when I render the full song, the guitars all come out centred, with a very narrow stereo image (I don't think they're dead centre, but it sounds pretty damn close to it).

Anyone have any hints on how to widen the stereo image with my guitars? It's making my mixes sound very hollow. I've tried a stereo imager on the aux track but it doesn't really sound right (like there is a difference between the levels in the left and right). Also sorry if this seems like a noobish question. Thanks a lot for your time! :)

Oh, also, all the plugins I'm using after recording are multi-mono. I don't know if when I actually record with Guitar Rig if I should be using it in mono or something.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Mono audio tracks + stereo aux track = panning issues! Help please!

bump!

please help!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Mono audio tracks + stereo aux track = panning issues! Help please!

Record the guitars mono. Double track (play them note for note twice). When you've got your tone, render them to another audio track. Make sure you pan the guitars center when you do this. Use Guitar Rig on each track as you play them, don't use an AUX track, yet.

Make the track with Guitar Rig Inactive. This gives you a point to return to.

So at this point with two guitars you should have four mono tracks (two per guitar part). Now pan these where you want them. Then add a Stereo AUX track for a room reverb to add depth, set the pan on the Bus like this: if you panned the guitar full left (-100) set the reverb pan to 70 (+70 R). Then if you panned the duplicate track to (-80 L), you'd set the reverb on that track to pan +90 R. Reverse it for the second guitar. Pan bass center. Drums pan 60 to 60.

I'm not that familiar with Kontakt player although I'm learning

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)