Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Safari and Digi coreaudio?

I just changed from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 and for some reason Safari isn't initializing the coreaudio manager. It has been fine until this update. ITunes still launches the coreaudio and it plays fine. My Coreaudio is 6.9
Anyone have any suggestions while I'm searching this problem?
Thanks,
Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com
Old 02-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Safari and Digi coreaudio?

Hello Dave.

It's been long time.. I was hoping to see you here.
We went to Hard Rock Cafe together after David F's Super JT concert.
I should had asked you how you recorded and mixed "Copacabana" if I knew it was you.
Sounds amazing (without ProTools?)!!!

Best
toppo

PS

Sorry, I can't go back to system you have so that I can't help you about Safari and Coreaudio.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:12 PM

Could be a Quicktime 7 problem. I believe QT7 was installed with 10.3.9 (could be wrong on this)
There were all sorts of QT issues floating around when 10.3.9 came out (possibly one of the reasons it was never qualified?), and certainly major problems with PT and QT7.
You may be able to download 6.5.2 from the Apple site and see if that fixes it.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-05-2006, 04:08 PM

Sorry to ask and run. I received an unexpected call that's going to pull me away for the night. I'll check back later. Thanks for any solutions.
Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com
Old 02-06-2006, 11:39 AM

All of my searching leads me to think that going back to QT 6.5.2 is the right thing to fix my problem. Before I do that though, is there anyone else that has any insight on this issue. Rail?
Thanks,
Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com
Old 02-06-2006, 12:02 PM

Dave,

I'm pretty sure this was resolved in a quicktime release after 6.5.2 -- is there a reason you don't want to use QT 7.0.4 ?

One thing re: QT7: If you bought the QT Pro upgrade for a prior version, then you'll have to give apple another $30 for version 7. I think it's worth it.

I remember a bunch of fixes that the newer QT release had -- but then other things broke and required fixes (Jam/Toast) - but everything seems to be working fine now.

I just realized that you are speaking of 10.3.x -- I'm at 10.4.3 and not having any issues.

I still think thnat you should take your rig to the latest quicktime, then as a last resort, revert to 6.5.2 if this doesn't fix it.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:55 PM

Everything was working fine with 10.3.8 and Digi coreaudio 6.9 until I installed Apple's IWork '06. When I tried to install IWork it said I need to update to 10.3.9 and also update to QT 7. I updated to 10.3.9 and I am at QT 7.0.4 now in order to use IWork. Before I made the change, when I would launch Safari or Quicktime it would automatically launch the Digi coreaudio. Now when I launch those programs the coreaudio does not launch. Are there any settings that I am forgetting that would launch the coreaudio automatically? It launches fine when I open ITunes.

Thanks,
Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com
Old 02-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Now when I launch those programs the coreaudio does not launch. Are there any settings that I am forgetting that would launch the coreaudio automatically?
I think you are expecting the coreaudio to launch and be ready for audio with the application... I don't think it's designed to do that...

I think it simply waits until it needs to launch, then it does its thing when required.

For example, I am in safari right now (protools is not running) and core audio is not running. If I click on your website URL, once the audio starts streaming, coreaudio launches and I get to hear your reel. If I close your site, coreaudio stays running and makes it so the next time safari wants to play audio, it's instant.

Another example: if core audio is not running and I launch itunes, until I play audio, it does not launch, but if i quit itunes, core audio quits.

I think everything may be working just right -- you just need to get an audio stream to kick coreaudio into gear, as it will not activate until it's needed.

Is this not the case for you?

You also know that you must re-launch any coreaudio clients if they were previously running with ProTools -- that is, if you quit PT, quit all other apps that may want to stream audio as well -- then relaunch Safari or itunes.

These are quirks of the coreaudio design. Maybe someday it will be more transparent to the user.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Now when I launch those programs the coreaudio does not launch. Are there any settings that I am forgetting that would launch the coreaudio automatically?
I think you are expecting the coreaudio to launch and be ready for audio with the application... I don't think it's designed to do that...

I think it simply waits until it needs to launch, then it does its thing when required.

For example, I am in safari right now (protools is not running) and core audio is not running. If I click on your website URL, once the audio starts streaming, coreaudio launches and I get to hear your reel. If I close your site, coreaudio stays running and makes it so the next time safari wants to play audio, it's instant.

Another example: if core audio is not running and I launch itunes, until I play audio, it does not launch, but if i quit itunes, core audio quits.

I think everything may be working just right -- you just need to get an audio stream to kick coreaudio into gear, as it will not activate until it's needed.

Is this not the case for you?.

You also know that you must re-launch any coreaudio clients if they were previously running with ProTools -- that is, if you quit PT, quit all other apps that may want to stream audio as well -- then relaunch Safari or itunes.

These are quirks of the coreaudio design. Maybe someday it will be more transparent to the user.

Thanks for helping Jeremy. I wish it was that simple. I'm aware that the coreaudio doesn't launch until it's fed a stream and I see it kick in when I start playing something in ITunes. But, for some reason it's not kicking in when I try to play something in a web browser or QT. Hopefully I'll get it sussed out without having to do anything drastic.

Thanks,
Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com