Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Buying New Laptop and Possible Problems

Hi, I'm not super computer-savvy and I have some questions as to problems that might arise when I try and install Pro Tools LE onto a new laptop that I will be buying soon. Right now I am running version 7.0 on an iBook G4 running OS 10.4.11 with an Mbox 2 and a 100GB Lacie Disk with a Firewire 400 connection. From what I see on the Apple website the MacBooks don't have any Firewire connections. I gather then that I would have to buy the 15-inch Macbook Pro and run a Firewire 800 external drive then? I was running my Pro Tools setup on a Firewire 400 drive previously. Would I be able to run my current rig on Firewire 800 without any changes? Also, would I have to uninstall Pro Tools 7.0 on my current Mac before installing it on a new one? Will my authorization codes work? Will 7.0 even run on an intel Mac? Also, would the installation process be the same? I also have programs and plug-ins from other manufacturers such as IK Multimedia, Propellerhead, Celemony, Ableton and Fxpansion. Would I be able to run them on a new computer by uninstalling and reauthorizing them? I also am curious as to whether or not my Pro Tools factory bundle and Expand! programs will work and if I will have to uninstall and reauthorize them. Also, will my factory iLock work? Sorry for all the questions and I will be very much indebted to anyone who can provide me with any answers. For me this is going to be quite a complicated process and I thank anyone who is willing to help. -Jack
Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Buying New Laptop and Possible Problems

google?
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 PM

If you have several questions, it helps to put them on a new line instead of one after the other, your questions look like a big long run on sentence.

Anyway, to try to answer your questions. You will need a macbook pro because you need firewire and the regular macbook doesn't have it. Your existing firewire 400 drive may work if you get a fw800 to 400 adapter cable (Belkin makes an inexpensive one). If not, you may need to get a FW800 hard drive. Obviously it's cheaper to first try the adapter.

As for the new computer, the main problem will be that the operating system is Snow Leopard (10.6) and you have Protools 7 which will not work on that. Your best course of action is to buy Protools 8 ($150). Though it says upgrade, it's really a full installer so you don't need to try to reinstall protools 7 on the new computer. This upgrade is well worth it, with tons more features and instruments than you have now.

As for plugins, all of the will work, the main thing is to not bother trying to copy the programs from your old computer, as most of them have new updated versions, and you should download the latest versions to the new computer. Your Ilok based programs such as the factory bundle,will work the same way, again, just download the latest versions to the new computer. The Ilok will function just as it always has.

And as for your old computer, you can transfer personal stuff such as documents, emails, etc. to the new computer, but actual programs you're just better off installing from scratch on the new computer, as mentioned.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Will I be able to run my current plug-ins on the new version of Pro Tools and OSX? If I download new versions of them will I have to pay for the plug-ins again? Thanks so much for the help,
-Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you have several questions, it helps to put them on a new line instead of one after the other, your questions look like a big long run on sentence.

Anyway, to try to answer your questions. You will need a macbook pro because you need firewire and the regular macbook doesn't have it. Your existing firewire 400 drive may work if you get a fw800 to 400 adapter cable (Belkin makes an inexpensive one). If not, you may need to get a FW800 hard drive. Obviously it's cheaper to first try the adapter.

As for the new computer, the main problem will be that the operating system is Snow Leopard (10.6) and you have Protools 7 which will not work on that. Your best course of action is to buy Protools 8 ($150). Though it says upgrade, it's really a full installer so you don't need to try to reinstall protools 7 on the new computer. This upgrade is well worth it, with tons more features and instruments than you have now.

As for plugins, all of the will work, the main thing is to not bother trying to copy the programs from your old computer, as most of them have new updated versions, and you should download the latest versions to the new computer. Your Ilok based programs such as the factory bundle,will work the same way, again, just download the latest versions to the new computer. The Ilok will function just as it always has.

And as for your old computer, you can transfer personal stuff such as documents, emails, etc. to the new computer, but actual programs you're just better off installing from scratch on the new computer, as mentioned.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 PM

No, you won't have to pay for them again. Once you own them, you own them. It is standard to have to download the plugins every so often because they are constantly updating them to be compatible with new operating systems, new software versions, etc.

Anything that's Ilok based is especially not a problem. You can download the programs and install them on as many computers as you want, because the Ilok holds the owner license (and you can use only one computer at a time because of this method).

In the case of Ikmultimedia, you are allowed 5 authorizations. When you download the program to your new computer, from your account and it will give you a new authorization number to use on that computer. This allows you to use it on a few different computers, such as a desktop and a laptop, and allows for buying new computers, etc. If for some reason you use up the 5 authorizations, you can call them and explain the situation and they'll hopefully straighten it out.

FXpansion works in a similar way, but I think they have a way to deauthorize the program from a computer (such as one your getting rid of or selling) and then use the same authorization on the new computer. As for Ableton and others, I'm not sure.

Anyway, you get the idea.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Ok great. I was worried that I was going to have to spend quite a bit of money on new versions of the plug-ins that I already have. Buying a new Macbook Pro is going to be a ton of cash as it is. Regardless, thanks so much for helping me out.
-Jack