How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2008, 03:53 PM

Default Hybrid feature request plus question for other users

Hi,
I have been having a lot of fun with Hybrid!

However here is what I would *LOVE* to see added and would like to know if there are enough users out there interested enough for the AIR team to add these functionalities:

1)I would like to import my own waveforms(anyone else?)

2)I would like to be able to use Hybrid as a processing plugin,
So in place of an oscillator I would like to have an input so I can run guitars, drums, synths and other audio through Hybrids amazing filters and effects!(I really hope others are interested in that)

3)I would like to see a fully modular freely configurable modulation and routing system.
I was a bit dissapointed when I found that I couldn't assign an LFO to control the amount of sample rate reduction or other distortion amounts.
I realize that I could automate movement of parameters for parameters that LFOs can't be routed to, but I dont want to have to write automation while I am building up a patch, especially if I haven't committed to a tempo yet.
I would like to write and build patches in hybrid like I do on my outboard synthesizers like my favorites such as the Virus b, and Evolver.

If anything could be routed to anything just like a 22 space modular system where everything with an input,output and patch cable can go anywhere this would really set Hybrid apart from other software synthesizers.
Do others see the beauty in this and a desire to work in this way with no limits?

Imagine how cool it would be to place effects directly after an oscillator then into a VCA then into the Filter then route that into the VCA in part b.
4)Very similar to what I stated in #3, I want to see a replacement for Native Instruments Reaktor designed to work well with Pro Tools.

Reaktor is limitless, I can do anything I want.
But Reaktor doesnt run as well under RTAS as it does in other hosts.

In this video the AIR team states that they want to make Pro Tools the most popular platform for creating music in addition to its popularity in mixing and editing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcAhn...09B99F&index=0

I feel that in order to do that, us users need a freely configurable signal path with infinite modulation options.

Thanks for reading
Old 05-22-2008, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Hybrid feature request plus question for other users

Thanks for starting this thread. I wanted to do this a while ago, but chickened out. On one hand, I believe that the people we give money to for their product should care what we the users think of it, and should want to hear the things that we like and the things that we don't so that they can improve it and make it closer to being the solution that we're looking for. They should be receptive to found bugs, odd or frustrating behaviour, and suggestions to improve what's there. They should also want our input on new features that we seek, and directions that we feel the product should evolve into.

On the other hand, a) the "You've already paid for it and this is what you get - quit bitching" idealogy will usually be defended by someone; b) not everyone will agree on the same features and functionality; and c) Digi may simply not give a crap about what we think, as long as they can sell copies as it stands and make money.

But, I'm glad you decided to put this out there, and I HOPE Digi cares. I think Hybrid is a great softsynth, and with a few changes and new features, it could be one of the best ones going!

I agree 100% with everything you said regarding new features. Here's my list:

1. Target controllers should animate when their assigned morph control is manipulated. It was a real surprise seeing that this didn't happen. It's off-putting - you can hear your morph groups working, but with no visual feedback, it's easy to get confused and forget what's assigned to that controller. Sure, you can find out, but what a pain. Why not simply have the target controllers move in tandem with the Morph control? Too much processing? Maybe, but methinks it was just laziness.

2. There should be the ability to set Part A to the high range, and Part B to the low range, not just fixed at A = low, B = high. At the VERY LEAST, allow the swapping of Parts so that what was A becomes B, and vice versa. As it stands, you can only copy one way, meaning you'll lose one and can't swap. This is a problem, because I've often had a Part in A that I wanted to play with my right hand, and a Part in B that I wanted to play with my left hand. There was no way to remedy this without saving and loading the parts appropriately - what a PAIN!

3. You should be able to set the key split by, oh, I don't know, HITTING THE KEY, MAYBE?! Come on Digi, this was just a stupid f'up!

I think these changes/fixes should be put into a free update. As for getting audio into Hybrid, like I agreed, I'd LOVE to see that. I'd HOPE that that would be in a free upgrade, but could understand if they had to charge for significant new functionality like that. If they do charge for the next version, I hope it's a small fee. A large charge for the next version would probably keep me away. I'm far too enamored with my new Alesis Ion to want to pay extra for better softsynths at the moment...

Anyways, if I think of more suggestions, I'll add them!

Hope you're listening, Digi! If so, Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 AM

I use Hybrid a lot and do like it very much. I agree with the suggestions made here, especially the Morph assignment visuals. That would help a lot.

I'd also like to see a pop-up window come up when editing in the sequencer screen. If I'm working in the sequencer and want to tweak the filter, for example, I'd like to have just the filter window pop up, rather than switching back and forth.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm not even sure that Eric Persing's highly anticipated Omnisphere can do half of that stuff.

filosofem
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
1. Target controllers should animate when their assigned morph control is manipulated.
To a degree it does, yellow coloured controls represent the range and direction. Another point of contention though would be conflicting same parameter CC and Pro Tools Automation. In other words, conflicting Morph and non-morph automation.
Quote:
2. There should be the ability to set Part A to the high range, and Part B to the low range, not just fixed at A = low, B = high.
You'd save the Parts respectively, thus loading Part A in Part B, Part B in Part A.
Quote:
3. You should be able to set the key split by, oh, I don't know, HITTING THE KEY, MAYBE?!
You can enter the split range using the Qwerty keyboard.

filosofem
Old 05-28-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
1. Target controllers should animate when their assigned morph control is manipulated.
To a degree it does, yellow coloured controls represent the range and direction. Another point of contention though would be conflicting same parameter CC and Pro Tools Automation. In other words, conflicting Morph and non-morph automation.

I'm not following you. I know the yellow bands are for setting the range and direction, but that has nothing to do with seeing the dials turn when the morph controller's turned. I agree about the fact that a control could be automated through both its own direct control and through a morph, but since that works, and its behaviour is obviously deterministic, there's no way that it wouldn't be possible to show what the control's effective motion is.
Quote:

Quote:
2. There should be the ability to set Part A to the high range, and Part B to the low range, not just fixed at A = low, B = high.
You'd save the Parts respectively, thus loading Part A in Part B, Part B in Part A.
That's exactly what I said:

Quote:
There was no way to remedy this without saving and loading the parts appropriately - what a PAIN!
Quote:

Quote:
3. You should be able to set the key split by, oh, I don't know, HITTING THE KEY, MAYBE?!
You can enter the split range using the Qwerty keyboard.

Er, yeah, but that's not the same as hitting the note, is it?

Filosofem, I've been a long-time lurker here, and have read a bunch of your posts and think you're a great source of knowledge and asset to this board. But I gotta say, your post here didn't really accomplish much. Just buggin' ya.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM

It's pretty simple, automation a slight LPF opening with the filter cutoff, now assign this to Morph 1 (CC), what happens? How can you animate this. Secondly, Morph Controls can be assigned to both Part A and Part B, what's the point in animating them when you can only see one Part at a time, point is, listen.

As for the fixed low and high ranges, as I said, reverse the Parts.

And yes you're right, the qwerty keyboard isn't MIDI Input but it's the best workaround. No AIR Instrument has real-time MIDI editing in that fashion.

filosofem
Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I'm not even sure that Eric Persing's highly anticipated Omnisphere can do half of that stuff.

filosofem

But my Virus b and Evolver can do all that.
Even my Waldorf pulse had more modulation options.

Basically instead of X being hardwired to Y, I want to be able to change X to be wired to Y,Z,Q,R whereever I want.
Loading in wavetables shouldn't be too difficult, I am not talking about loading samples, Waveforms are small.

Cheers:)
Old 05-30-2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah I know what your saying and I'd love to not have Hybrid hard-wired also but it's just not that type of VI.

filosofem