Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2002, 06:28 PM

Default Midi Problem... Intermitent cutting out.

Ok... This is a shifty problem so im going to try and explain as easy as possible...

I was recording in a session (midi).. I was playing the drums on a drum machine by hand, and it was going down onto a midi track and I was monitoring the audio through an aux channel...
Then without touching a thing, There was not midi going into Pro tools..... the track was on record and I was hitting the pads, but nothing was going down on the midi track, yet I could still hear the sound through the audio aux track
... I closed the session, and then opened another session,and the midi was working fine.... SO I close down that session and open that original session with the screwed up midi again.... And now the midi was working fine.... then 10 minutes later, it cut out again...
Go back to that other session again, and the midi is working fine......

I have eliminated my drum machines, synths and everything as being problematic.... Obviously the PTLE DIGI 001 Breakout box connection is good and solid since I could hear perfect AUDIO through all of this.... (but I still double checked the computer connection from breakout to PC)...

I have eliminated the possibility of Cables also...

Something intermitent in the software is screwing up.....

I have checked all the obvious, like in/out routing etc.... and YES, record was depressed... and all the cable connections were proper....

Does anyone know what this could be?......
Old 05-27-2002, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Midi Problem... Intermitent cutting out.

Just wanted to bump this post to the top..... Digi Tech support, or someone please help if possible...

Thanks.. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 10:02 AM

to really check if the midi is sending out right ot not.
Set the drum pads Local to Off so it only reponds to incoming midi messages. run a lead from the Pad midi out to digi's midi in. then run another from the digi out to the pad's midi. leave the audio going through an aux. this way you can see if midi is going in and out.... and hear!
if it's not it may be a hardware problem with the pads. Normally Local is on so the trigger directly causes a note to sound, whereas with local off it is repsonding to midi.

Sorry if it simplified too much...
Old 05-27-2002, 11:45 AM

Thanks for your insight...But,

I have ruled out my drum machines and Keyboards... they all do the same thing and I have made sure they are all transmiting and recieving on the proper channels....... Im sure it's a software glitch.... It's almost as if when I press record on the mix screen on a midi track, it for some reason doesn't go into rec standby.... Even though the button changes to the depressed position...

What if I wipe out PTLE and re install fresh... Do you think that might fix it.....? It's been over a year that I have had it, and maybe it's got a little glitch in it...... Is it possible to wipe out PT and re install without messing up my waves bundle or d-verb authorization etc...?
Old 05-27-2002, 06:29 PM

I found this in the answerbase...

I wonder if this might be my culprit... seems to be exact same symptoms..

"The Digi001 OMS driver v5.0.1 is required in addition to DSI 5.0.1 and the Direct I/O library in order to eliminate
incompatibilities when third party applications communicate with the Digi001 via Direct I/O and OMS simultaneusly.
Symptoms include: 1-No MIDI output from the Digi001 2-Random MIDI events on MIDI input through the Digi001 "

Download Software and Installation Instructions at....

What do you think... Maybe I should try this....???.

Why does it feel like Im having a conversation with myself... Seriously...... No one else has ever run into this???...

Naturally, Im a take charge person, and im tempted to just dive in and download this "fix".. But I am very computer illiterate, and Im worried I might screw the whole deal up...

Some input would be awesome.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:17 PM

Voxvendor,
I have skimmed this topic (slight hurry here, sorry if I missed anything). One thing if you haven't already done so. Whatever inputs your Midi device is plugged into in the back of the Digi box (like I'm plugged in 3&4)... Try plugging in, say 5&6...or 7&8, and see if your Midi comes through there. If is does NOT work , try some straight Audio into those inputs (electric guitar...anything). If the guitar works, you can rule out input probs on the Digi box.
You say it's not your drum machine or other Midi devices. So, make sure if you can that it's not your Midi cables. Try swapping them around possibly.
NOW, if it's none of those things, then yes, I would think it could be some sort of Midi driver.

But, if you would, try all of that, and post back. I'll check back in after a while.......

Roy
Old 05-28-2002, 07:12 AM

Yeah, I checked all of that.... Especially the Cables and Breakout box connections...

Im gonna try downloading that "Fix"...
Old 05-29-2002, 09:22 AM
Avid

It would be interesting to know if the MIDI cuts out after a certain duration everytime...if it does, then some software running in the background could be the culprit, in which case, you should disable all startup items and see how are things go:

1) Start Menu > Run > Type in: msconfig > OK > System Configuration Utility Menu appears > Startup Tab.
2) Disable startup items that do NOT have C:Windows in explanation.
3) Do NOT disable: Scan Registry, System Tray, and Load Power Profile (both).
4) Disable all other items that might appear.

If problems persist, where is your drum machine connected to: the Digi001 MIDI ports or a third party MIDI interface?

Brent
Old 05-30-2002, 06:04 AM

Yes, it's going Directly into and out of the Digi 001 Midi Ports.... I will check out that Start up thing, and let you know.... But during the course of this problem, Nothing was altered in my computer, nothing installed, no start up options changed etc....

I went to that "Fix" page, and it is just an error page... can you direct me to the proper page to download the updated midi drivers....

If the start up is ok, and if the midi driver update doesn't change anything, is it worth it to de-install PTLE, and re install it?... And will I have to get all my authorizations and etc again..?
Old 05-31-2002, 10:49 AM

Uhhh Hello?.... Is anyone here?....