Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM

Default HD Accel Cards & Interface not seen Mac Pro 2009 4,1

Hi everyone,
I've been helping folks on here forever and I just can't figure this one out.

I bought a nice clean 'second owner' 2009 Mac Pro with 16 gigs of ram to leave my 1,1 Pro behind.

So I've gotten all of my software & plugins installed on a new SSD on the Mac Pro 4,1 (HD installers) and just took my cards out of my 1,1 Mac Pro & installed in the new Mac.

Well, I couldn't get the 4,1 Mac Pro to even 'light the startup' LED with all three cards in!

The next attempt with just the Core card in the Mac WAS able to boot BUT I couldn't get Pro Tools to acknowledge it was there!

Then in the "Mac System Report" with just the Core still, the Mac Pro reported a 'ghost configuration' where it saw all 3 HD "Multimedia Cards" were present, even though it wouldn't boot at the time.

I cannot get Pro Tools 10.3.8 HD to look for my HD hardware!

If I select "about Pro Tools HD" it says at the top "Complete Production Toolkit" before the name credits start rolling by - but that is not right!

This is the second time something like this has happened (I was on a similar thread back in 2012 with the same problem: Install all of your software on a new drive and then Pro Tools NEVER FINDS THE HD HARDWARE and thinks it is a "Complete Production Toolkit" + Vanilla PT configuration - HD hardware not seen - I gave up in 2012 & started over on a new bare drive) http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=326832&page=2

Here's a list of things I have tried with just the Core card & a 96 I/O:
1. Trashing Preferences & Caches with Onxy
2. Zapping PRAM with Com+Opt+P+R
3. Hold N for Engine (still not listed, just CoreAudio & Pro Tools Aggregate)
4. Installing the 96/192 Interface standalone drivers for 9HD
5. Tried Core in slot furthest from Video card per an older post
6. Always Port B to Port A when I tried more than one Core card
7. Completely uninstalling Pro Tools & Re-installing 10.3.8
8. I was careful to not damage the R35 resistor that can break
9. My Accel cards were updated by Avid for the timing reset error in 2010
10. My cards are now back in my Mac Pro 1,1 and system is running fine
11. Cards all pass Digitest on 1,1 and system is stable...just a bit slow.

I want to upgrade as I'm nearing the end of three full-length CD projects and have been dealing with CPU spikes etc. and thought that the newer faster Mac could really help out.

Looking around the web, it seems there are a number of posts about this EXACT PROBLEM but no real solution. It really is a big drag to spend an entire day installing many dozens of plugs 'latest edition/freshly downloaded from publishers/compatible-listed plug versions' in preparation for a clean install and another 1/2 swapping around cards & AND THEN Pro Tools never sees your HD Hardware.

Wondering if I have to install a Pro Tools 10.0 first and THEN upgrade to 10.3.8 for my hardware to be seen?

Still not sure why the Mac Pro 4,1 won't boot with all three "Timing Error Reset repaired/Digitest Passing cards installed". Is the power supply weak on the new Mac Pro 4,1? It only has one 7200rpm and one SSD drive inside...ugh. Supposedly my 96 is supported through April and my HD Accel through Dec. 31st 2016..but they are not seen/working in this newer supported Mac Pro 4,1 with 10.8.5 installed (but work fine on old Mac Pro 1,1 10.7.5 Lion)

The "Lesson" here is, (I guess as it has happened to me twice now) is to never install Pro Tools HD, then Avid paid & third party plug-ins BEFORE you have put your HD cards into the new machine. (Which sucks b/c you have to tear apart your working machine).

I *did* select the installer for the HD/HD Accel when I installed Pro Tools 10.3.8 BUT, if the cards are not already in the machine, you may be in for a nasty surprise WHEN PRO TOOLS HD never sees them.

It really makes me crazy that I can't make Pro Tools HD find my PCIe cards and Interfaces and that it wants to be a Complete Production Toolkit affair, even though that no longer exists...

Thanks VERY MUCH in advance to any fellow Duc'ers with more tips or ideas.

All the Best :) Walt

Last edited by blackmacdaddy; 01-18-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-18-2015, 04:31 PM

Default Re: HD Accel Cards & Interface not seen Mac Pro 2009 4,1

Same thing happened to me once, uninstalling (complete) and reinstall fixed it.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-18-2015, 05:04 PM

Thanks Barry. I guess I do have all of the latest software installers now.

But moving my HD cards between machines is no fun, right?

Barring any other alternative and since tomorrow is a holiday, I guess I may end up starting from scratch.

NEVER will I ever build a disk image again without having my cards installed in the new machine first though.

Best Walt

PS: I should mention that when I built a new disk image in 2012, it was on my Mac Pro 1,1 AND my HD3 cards WERE installed in that machine...but not seen...

So I guess I'm not sure why Pro Tools decides that Pro Tools hardware IS or ISN'T present (and refuses to change it's mind!!!)

Last edited by blackmacdaddy; 01-18-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: PS
Old 01-18-2015, 10:10 PM

I used a 2009 MacPro4,1 model successfully for years but I have to say I never migrated system drive from old system -- always a clean install after the cards are there. So I don't really know whether the issue is from migration, but I strongly suspect that it's the culprit here.

So don't panic. Keep the cards in the Nehalem (which I can confirm is very much qualified and supported to run HD3), double-check that the ribbons are connected properly (they go from B to A instead what you would think), then re-install the operating system and PT from scratch. I bet it just magically works after that.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 AM

Sounds like hardware issues with card

please contact me if you are interested in possibly having the card(s)

serviced

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
Sounds like hardware issues with card

please contact me if you are interested in possibly having the card(s)

serviced
You could perhaps post frequently on the buy&sell forum because it seems to me that not many people know that you can fix the cards...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You could perhaps post frequently on the buy&sell forum because it seems to me that not many people know that you can fix the cards...
Thanks for the Advise

I've been fixing these cards for about 5-6 years now.

I get got cards from all over the US & EU as well, just got some Accel cards today from Switzerland
So there is obviously no other options in Europe if they find the way to me ?

Service Available for
  • HDX
  • HD Accel ( Core / Accel )
  • HD192 AD
  • HD192 DA
  • 192 AD
  • 192 DA
  • 96IO AD
  • 96IO DA
  • As Well As Many Other Manufacturer Converters
Upgrades also For under $500

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 02-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Hey Walt,

I have the same MacPro 4,1. I'm running an HD2 Accel Pro Tools HD v10.3.8 system with OSX 10.7.5. Maybe you should try your system with 10.7.5 - I wonder if there's an issue on 10.8?

Like you I upgraded from a 1,1 MacPro about 2 years ago. I got a used 4,1 as well. I've been running fine with a single 96IO interface, but now I bought a second 96IO to give me additional ins/out, and this second IO interface has major problems being recognized by my system. I started with the short Digilink cable going from IO#1 to #2. After a bunch of cable reseating the 2nd IO was eventually recognized, but the next day it was not recognized again. So I bought a long Digilink cable to connect to to my 2nd Accel card. Still having the same problem - it seems to be recognized just some of the time. A DigiTest passes. But there is some weirdness there - Digitest won't see the 2nd interface when it looks to do a firmware upgrade. I have switched the interfaces so I know it's not a problem interface. Whichever interface is '2nd' in the order is unrecognizable. I'm pretty frustrated with this...any ideas?