Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2002, 01:22 PM

Default This probably is a stupid question, but

here goes...

I remember around 15 years ago (pre-digital, a good 4-track was $1000 for those of you who were alive) my guitar teacher telling me that some people recorded onto a VCR. My VCR has great sound through my stereo. I'm wondering if I bought a little Mackie mixer, would that be a good way to get a couple of tracks of analog?

Anyone ever tried it?

thanks!

jason
Old 01-25-2002, 01:26 PM

Default Re: This probably is a stupid question, but

hey badperson,

a question is never stupid, just a bit awkward maybe..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

you are here on the forum of people who uses harddisk-recorders on their pc. In my opinion you are here on the wrong place. There are some things in favour of the vcr and a lot of things against it....if you have specific issues.....please ask them, but dont be vague...noone will answer that

Bastiaan

Bastiaan
Old 01-25-2002, 01:33 PM

sorry, my bad, here's a clarification.

I have a digi 001 on a Dell system I got not too long ago. I was wondering if it would be possible/practical, etc. to record on the vcr, then dump it onto the computer, in order to get a warmer analog sound. I'm wondering how much would be lost in the transfer, since I'd have to get adapters from RCA to 1/4".

Just to expand the question, do any of you record onto analog first, then dump onto digital?

If so, what do you use?

thanks!

jason
Old 01-25-2002, 03:24 PM

Personally, I'd stay away from that simply because using adapters ALWAYS adds some noise. You can try it out and see how you like the effect it gives.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 01-25-2002, 03:29 PM

I think that is basically a good idea but watch out for:

Built-in compressor. All consumer decks have a compressor on the input. You may or may not like the sound.

Dolby noise reduction is on the decks.

The linear tape speed is very slow and has poor frequency response and high noise, but you may like that for certain effects (use the fastest tape speed).

The Hi-Fi tracks are recorded by frequency modulation under the video tracks by video type heads. The frequency response and noise is much better but it doesn't sound like an analog track due to the modulation scheme.

Experiment!
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:02 PM

I had one of those 4 tracks (parents bought it for me when I was 15) I believe it was about $1500. 6channel mixer and tape transport and weighed about 50lbs. Anyway, I used to record my stuff to HI-Fi VHS Video tape. It's a good medium for 2 track because it is digital. I still have tracks on tape from then and have since transfered them to CD.