Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-28-2021, 09:14 AM

Default MAGMA Chassis Issues...

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking and searching through old threads from ages ago for information about the MAGMA PCI Expansion Chassis compatibility with classic Macs running OS9.x, or possibly OSX.

Through various trials I've been working to try to get the following equipment I've obtained to work in any combination.

Right now I've got:

- Powerbook Wallstreet PDQ (300Mhz)
- Powerbook Lombard (I understand this doesn't work with Magma Chassis)
- Motorola Starmax Mac Clone 3000/200, three PCI expansions and a G3 Upgrade card from Vimage.
- UMAX C500 Mac Clone, 2 PCI expansions, 240Mhz 603e processor upgrade.
- Power Macintosh 5500/275 (black beauty edition).
- AVID PCI-7 Magma Chassis with SCA 80-Style original cable (like this)
- Magma 2 Slot Cardbus to PCI Expander (CBHIF) (like this)

PCI Cards I'd like to use:

- Media 100 (Dual card setup)
- SW1000XGSound Card
- ATI Radeon 7000 (Mac Edition)
- Orange PC 550 (PC Compabitility Card, this requires OS9.x per the orangePC FAQ.
- Pro Tools Core card of any kind (recommendations?) with a 192 I/O

What I've tried:

- CBHIF to the Wallstreet (not recognized in OS9.2.1)
- PCI-7 to the UMAX C500 (not recognized in OS9.1)
- PCI-7 to the StarMax 3000 (not recognized in OS9.1)
- PCI-7 to the Power Macintosh 5500/275 (pci-bridge shows up but magmaslots.ppc reports no additional cards in the system profiler despite several being inserted, and all forms of re-arrangement tried).

Hunches and ideas for next steps:

- PCI-7 may require a specific flavor of Macintosh -- namely a 9500/9600 or Beige G3, neither of which I have (yet). Or may not even be compatible with Macintosh as there is zero documentation out there on this unit.
- CBHIF may not be compatible with the Powerbook Wallstreet without patches or software that is no longer supplied by Magma. I'm looking for the MAC.sit driver / extensions package that seems to be lost to the internet, if anyone has it or its contents. I've read that Magma support / OSS could provide advice on how to make certain expansion chassis compatible with Wallstreet but I've not found any details on how to do that (and they haven't been very helpful over email). It could also be that this version of the Magma card (CBHIF) and chassis simply does not support Powerbook Wallstreet, and I need to buy a Powerbook Pismo to get it to recognize cards on the PCI bus. They're not too expensive so this is certainly an option if its the solution to the compatibility issues I'm having.
- Apple PCI Extension on the Magma support site seems to crash my Wallstreet running 9.2.1 on startup. Not sure if it's required or not for my use case, as it seems to be related to issues with PT and not general compatibility with the Cardbus card and chassis which is what I'm currently trying to sort through.
- CBHIF and PCI2 printed manual seems to indicate that it only supports OSX10.2.2 and above (which my Wallstreet supports but I'm currently NOT running, will be testing OSX next). However, the CD that comes with the Magma PCI2 unit includes Macintosh ATTO patch support drivers for both OS9.x and OSX, which leads me to believe compatibility is possible. I've also read some confusing (very old) topics on this forum about wallstreet/pismo magma chassis compatibility, and some user reports of 9.x working. I don't mind using OSX10.2.2 but I won't be able to use certain PCI cards with it, such as the OrangePC 550.

I realize this is a super long post but hopefully one of you experienced Avid pros can help a noob out!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:48 AM

Default Re: MAGMA Chassis Issues...

Well, I could have helped once twenty years ago. But it’s too long I forgot...

Best

Mark
Old 01-04-2023, 11:28 PM

Default Re: MAGMA Chassis Issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezant View Post
- PCI-7 to the Power Macintosh 5500/275 (pci-bridge shows up but magmaslots.ppc reports no additional cards in the system profiler despite several being inserted, and all forms of re-arrangement tried).
There might be a solution for Power Mac 5500 at https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?thre...60/post-467825

It's an nvramrc patch that should allow PCI devices behind a PCI bridge to appear. It's been tested on Power Mac 6500 and is specifically made for that version of Open Firmware which I think the Power Mac 5500 also uses?