Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-15-2022, 10:53 PM

Default Took the plunge

This post is for my DAW folks. Pulled the pin tonight and ordered up a Mac Studio. Mostly stock except 1TB SSD. My 2010 Mac Pro has been an incredible machine but time marches on and while it runs PT fine for audio recording, it really struggles to run virtual instruments and CPU intensive plugins like ozone. I've been a Pro Tools/Mac guy for over 21 years. Yes I know you can make great productions in the WINTEL world but overall Mac just works. That said I am seriously looking at learning Logic/Reaper/? as a DAW platform. Love PT but hate their business model as it relates to home studio guys like me. New Mac shows up Oct 3. It will likely take a few weeks to transition from the 5,1 cheese grater. Hopefully this will create a more creative studio environment enviroment
Old 09-15-2022, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Took the plunge

Whichever DAW you choose, you will have awesome hardware to run it on. You should think hard before you ditch Pro Tools. I’m a semi-pro home based mixing engineer (I’m retired and make some money on the side mixing for local bands). The folks that send me tracks to mix all use Pro Tools. It would be difficult, if not impossible for me to swap files back and forth on different platforms. The stock Pro Tools plug-ins are powerful, and I use only a few third party plug-ins for my work. I know what you’re saying about Avid’s business model. But, one must consider the strengths of the Pro Tools technology against the investment to own or rent the software. To provide full disclosure, I have about $10K invested in Avid hardware, so I’m committed to their proprietary DAW. However, if I was starting anew, I’d still choose Pro Tools as the foundation of my studio, principally because most everyone with whom I have a music business relationship are also Pro Tools users.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Took the plunge

Is that YOU I hear in the suite upstairs???

Kidding aside, I use Pro Tools for editing a lot, mixing a little, and I love Ableton Live for musical creativity.

With free trials and demos, I would totally suggest checking the overall 'feature lists' - does the software offer enough tracks etc? Then simply go with the UI and sound FX that sound best to you right away and suit your own intuitive flow.

My experience with various UI is that I either get it and fly and like it if it works, or UI can be opaque and I don't want to proceed.

This aspect of software design meeting with user experience is very idiosyncratic, and I wouldn't argue you "should" use Ableton. I do like it and could argue it does some things well, but more importantly, I could understand my actions and keep going deeper into creative expression. But for others that's Cubase or Logic. Some people want a business model like Reaper and MeldaProductions plug-ins/ It feels better socially so the creativity flows! Why not? Just keep playing.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //