Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-20-2002, 09:29 AM

Default New G4\'s

hey everyone. i'm getting ready to purchase some new items. and one of them will be a new dual 1.2ghz mac. Now i like to use the Waves and McDsp plugins alot. but tend to run into limitations on my 733 1.5GB ram quicksilver mac. If I use the renassiance reverb it almost instantly slows my system up [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Now my average usage is 27-32 tracks and I need full use of as many plug as possible. would it be worth it for Ptle? I also use Logic and i know the improvements I would see with that program. but is it worth it for me to get a new mac or just buy a mix|plus system?
Old 09-20-2002, 10:24 AM

Default Re: New G4\'s

I would wait. Apple is saying that all computers that ship after january will only boot in OSX. This probably means they will becoming out with a new chip. In the mean time, you can always record your RVerb onto a track and free up a ton of DSP. I don't think you will see a huge improvement with a Dual 1.25 gig. PT's doesn't use the second processor yet. I would wait until they do (if ever.)

The price on the mix/24 is very attractive. Can you afford the HD?
Old 09-20-2002, 01:08 PM

Can someone clue me in on why the L3 cache is so important? What does it do?
Old 09-20-2002, 04:20 PM

Egghd, search. I remember someone here once wrote entire explanation.

And for upgrading from 733Mhz and above...
If you must - Get a Mix.

If you can wait I would suggest that as the OS X release hopefully use DualProcessors and Altivec so the speed improve would be AWESOME.

And about the new macs, they're basically not such greater power if not used Dual and still apple is abit stuck with those oldish G4 architacture so wait until the start of 2003 and then see what are your options.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:09 AM

The HD system is over kill to me. I can't use 90% of my RTAS plugs, plus alot of the TDM plugs don't work yet and thge ones that do u have to pay for HD upgrades, F*&% that!!!!!!!
Mix was and will be the best value for quite some time. But on tha note of tha cpu, i "ll try to wait but I'm tired of reaching my limits in dsp power. that more of a setback tha tha 24-32 track limit. can anyone give me a solution to my problem other tha the obvious, buying a mix system.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:53 AM

There's 800Mhz and 1Ghz cpu upgrades from sonnet and powerlogix that have 2Mb of L3 cache.

The 800Mhz model wouldn't be worth it, especially if you've got the 733Mhz G4 with 1Mb L3 cache rather than the Quicksilver G4 with no L3. The 1Ghz upgrade might be something to look into if you find one at a reasonable price.

I think there's a thread on here somewhere about someone testing upgrade cards with a G4 for protools.