Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-30-2022, 09:14 AM

Default Dolby Atmos Album Assembler

Hi,

it looks like a good idea to also use Dolby Atmos Album Assembler in post.
It seems to be possible to measure loudness and TP and to limit and correct gain offline. Ok, no TP limiter, but a limiter for Atmos masters.

I think I will try it...
Old 07-31-2022, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Album Assembler

I wouldn´t mind if Dolby could implement an overall (beds and objects) TP limiter in the Renderer as well! At least for objects, since for beds there is already some offer in terms of multichannel TP limiters that can cover most needs.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 08-01-2022, 09:05 AM

...ok I tried it today and it would work to level and limit an atmos master for a movie.
Problem was, that my project is 25 fps and it came out 24 fps, every time I exported it with Dolby Atmos Albus Assembler.
Maybe a bug?

Best
Maik
Old 08-01-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
I wouldn´t mind if Dolby could implement an overall (beds and objects) TP limiter in the Renderer as well! At least for objects, since for beds there is already some offer in terms of multichannel TP limiters that can cover most needs.
Hm....is the Dolby Bridge 32bit? If not, limiters for objects and beds would just be "cosmetic" as the audio could already be full scale (or clipped) as it reaches the renderer (just like an AES connection to an RMU) so all a limiter in the renderer would do is "turn off" the red lights. For re-renders it would make sense though.

Frank.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:52 AM

Hi Frank,

don't know if DAB is 32bit.
But I exported a master and measured it offline in the renderer. Peaklevel was reduced. So that seemed to work.
Sure you have to go to -2.5dB on the limiter to get around -2dBTP.

Best
Maik
Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 AM

It might be reduced to -2.5 but could still be clipped on the way in/out no? (unless the bridge is 32bit)
What I meant was that if the signal coming into the renderer is clipped the limiter might reduce the level but it will do that on the clipped signal.

(like in the old days when people where using digital outboard limiters via inserts but over the AES I/O so they were essentially simply doing a "cosmetic" pass "removing the red lights" as the signal could already clip on the way to the limiter.)

An "outboard" (outside Protools) limiter only makes sense if the headroom of the connecting interface is higher than your possible highest clean signal that you want to limit.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:48 PM

...it was not clipped in the renderer nor in PT. It was measured while mixing and also limited on the Pro Tools masters to DAB. So no problem and not the point here.
I just tried to use it as a tool, to offline correct loudness and peaks of an atmos master.

Best
Maik
Old 08-02-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hm....is the Dolby Bridge 32bit? If not, limiters for objects and beds would just be "cosmetic" as the audio could already be full scale (or clipped) as it reaches the renderer (just like an AES connection to an RMU) so all a limiter in the renderer would do is "turn off" the red lights. For re-renders it would make sense though.

Frank.
Ya, I see your point, you´re right, the limiting needs to be done before it goes into DAB. Maybe a Dolby Limiter plugin could be handy, ported from the Assembler.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 08-02-2022, 11:17 PM

Hi,

there is a plugin, that does this https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-samp/
But it's a little heavy on the cpu. When I put Nugen ISL on every Bed- and Object-Master, it's easy for the cpu.

Aside from that, it would be great to have a tool to correct loudness and TP on a masterfile offline.

I spoke with dolby support and they said, that at the moment the Assembler only uses 24 fps because music masters are 24 fps.

Best
Maik
Old 08-03-2022, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Hi,

there is a plugin, that does this https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-samp/
But it's a little heavy on the cpu. When I put Nugen ISL on every Bed- and Object-Master, it's easy for the cpu.

Aside from that, it would be great to have a tool to correct loudness and TP on a masterfile offline.

I spoke with dolby support and they said, that at the moment the Assembler only uses 24 fps because music masters are 24 fps.

Best
Maik
Ya, I need to try that plugin. Regarding Nugen ISL I also use it on Beds all the time and on certain Objects that may have too much dynamic range and may get out of control.

But really my main concern about this overall limiting is the Renderer´s downmix to Binaural, which tends to clip easily when there´s to much information on the Beds and Objects. I know it has a limiter builtin, but I would like to have more control in particular on Objects before they reach the internal Binaural bus. I find it very difficult to achieve -18 dbfs on the overall programme, without overloading the Binaural signal and preventing the limiter acting beyond the - 3 dbfs allowed by the specs.

I´m doing some experiments with a VCA that can control all Beds and Objects tracks, but of course it´s not the same as a Limiter inserted on tracks.

I find inserting an instance of ISL or other limiter plugin on every Object track a bit clumsy, but maybe it´s just me

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3