Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Connetions connections connections

Alright so here's the deal.

I want to move my towers out of my studio into a closet. But I have a few fire wire, usbs, dvi, ethernet, rj45 and rca connectors that I wish to do, as a wall mount. Possibly db 25 connectors too if I ever get any interface modules and I find the fans to be to loud.

I'd need 1 rj45 port
3 dvi port
at least 6 usb ports
1 Ethernet port
and at least 6 firewire ports
4 db25 connectors

My plans would be to have a usb/dvi switcher, so the keyboard+mouse and dual screens would switch from one tower to the other.

Now at the same time, I need to run the power switches from a wall mounted breaker box, so I could power up in order my equipment by simply flipping the breakers on.

Breaker order:
1: Power conditioner
2: C24
3: computers
4: I/O interface
5: Near fields studio monitors.

Any one has any Idea how I could make this happens?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Connetions connections connections

Switchcraft makes panel mount connectors for most if not all of those. For firewire, usb, etc. they use the same type of housing as their panel mount XLRs. You could get a blank rack panel, and drill it out to mount all of the connectors, or just put them on a panel and mount it to the wall.

Before you go with a KVM, I would give synergy a try. You just drag your mouse to the edge of the screen on one computer, and it will automatically give your keyboard and mouse control of the other computer's screen. I've used KVMs, Timbuktu etc in the past and synergy is much better IMO. It's free, you just need to have the two computers on the same network to make it work.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:18 PM

Yes but that wouldn't work for me as I have two screens always on use. Unless I'm mistaken, by what you're saying is that I would only have one screen for one computer and an other screen for the other, which wouldn't work for me, since that would mean i would need 4 screens on my desk, plus the c24, the mouse, the keyboard, the nearfields etc.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Sorry, I misread your post. So yes, if you want 2 computers, each with dual screens, and only 2 physical screens on the desk then you will need to use a KVM.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?