Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Default Do you prefer OMF or AAF from an Avid editor

I have been recently thinking about asking the Avid editors I work with to start sending me AAF (copy and link media) instead of OMF. I would like to receive video as an Avid media file to output on Mojo so why not include all media in that AAF right?

I searched for threads regarding AAF vs OMF and found some that were from 2007, 2008 and some folks said they had problems with AAF and were sticking to OMF. These were pretty old so I am curious if AAF support has improved since then.

What do you guys currently prefer when receiving exports from Avid editors? Is OMF still king? Is AAF solid enough? I ultimately went with Pro tools over Nuendo (i love cubase) for post because pro tools can work with MXF nativley via AAF, Nuendo cannot; and thought that might be useful in an all Avid workflow.

Best

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Do you prefer OMF or AAF from an Avid editor

AAF. Not much different but I prefer files exported from the Avid rather than FCP.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:07 PM

I get AAF from the Media Composers here at work, but the DS only exports OMF, so that's what I get from them.

FCP I usually ask for OMF.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM

I've recently been working somewhere where they seem to be moving to AAF. I haven't had any problems so far.
There has been a question about the max length of time line that it can handle, but with at least one project, a bit less than an hour seemed to be fine.
And it's nice to have track names imported through AAF (at least so you know how things were supposed to be laid out.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM

AAF all the way. Never have to worry about the media being embedded or not.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM

we've just been fighting with moving projects from Logic Audio to ProTools and here's a couple of things we learned along the way:

- AAF export from Logic 8 will not open on PT7.3.1cs7 (some wave file error), but will open without problems on PT8.0.4 The AAF is referencing WAV media also created by Logic upon export)

- Logic 8 AAF contains volume information, read by PT8.0.4

- Logic 8 embedded OMF export, doesn't seem to contain volume information. At least PT7 and 8 didn't read any, but both PT versions could import the OMF

- when exporting Logic tracks, one has to be careful with routing from stereo tracks, or stereo tracks might end up as mono (.L from the stereo) on the PT side

- embedded OMFs from Avid lose valuable metadata such as clip TC, but sometimes it's the more reliable way of getting the material.

- I seem to remember that the only way of bringing audio over from Nuendo to PT was by exporting an embedded OMF (2) with Nuendo.

From Avids I mostly ask AAF nowadays. FCP is embedded OMF (I even wonder if FCP can do AAF, maybe with the latest version).

So I would say OMF or AAF depends on what systems and software version you are using...

And MXF and PT is another long not so happy story (and thread

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Never have to worry about the media being embedded or not.
AAF has a 2 gb limit like OMF right? I didnt think so, but when I recently exported a quicktime to of Avid Xpress as an AAF it wouldnt embedbecause it would be larger than 2 GB. This may have to do with the way avid exports the video as an OMF(therefore 2gb limit?) embedded in the AAF. Can't understand this container within a container stuff.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5