Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-30-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Terrible RTAS Latency in 6.9

I downloaded the new Waves 5 Diamond Bundle and installed it. I was messing around last night, just jamming a little bit, and started throwing plugs on the master track while I was recording. The latency was HUGE! Probably a whole second.

I thought maybe I had my Playback Settings jacked up from a previous mix session, but my CPU usage was set at 99% and Buffer was at 256. The system usage showed nominal CPU use.

For the record, I had one stereo Aux track routing Reason into PT. One midi track with some simple drum programming. One audio track with an Amplitube LE plug inserted. One stereo master fader with Waves LinMB inserted.

Before I got PT LE 6.9, I was running 6.4 with numerous plugs while tracking, and within reason I never had any problems. Is this a problem with Waves 5, or with PT LE 6.9?

Thanks. I'm worried I may have to revert to 6.4 if I can't get this figured out. I like to use some plugs while doing overdubs because I think people play better when they sound better. I haven't done a session with 6.9 yet, but if this is the performance level that can be expected, I'm going back to 6.4.

System:

1.25 DP G4
2 Gb RAM
OS 10.3.9
PT LE 6.9

Kyle
Old 11-30-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Terrible RTAS Latency in 6.9

waves linMB is the culperit here. from memory it introduces about 3800 samples of delay alone. close to 1/10th of a second. hold down apple and click on the green "vol." on the bottom of each fader in your mix window. click there twice and you will get the number of samples of delay been induced by your pluggins. you can then manually nudge the track back that many samples to get sync once again.

hope this helps!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:18 PM

I'm sure LinMB is mostly to blame, but basically anything on the Master, from T-Racks, to BF76, to Vintage Warmer induced noticable latency. I used to track with plugs on the master all day long in 6.4 with no problems whatsoever.

Does anybody have any ideas or settings I should track down and edit? Thanks!

Kyle
Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM

Waves Linear MultiBand compressor introduces delay because it HAS to - it's not intended for use during tracking. It's more of a mastering tool.

It's the neature of linear phasee algorithms that they need to save up some results before sending anything out. Unavoidable.