Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:02 PM

Default 2 Grand to Spend on New Preamp

Give me you recommendations! I need two new channels, and I have $2,000 to spend, give or take a couple hundred. I would prefer somthing with character.

My current selection includes only the 4 pres on the 002R and a Focusrite Octopre. My first thought was the UA 2-610, but I would love to hear what everyone else thought.

Peace

Kyle
Old 11-14-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: 2 Grand to Spend on New Preamp

Try Focusrite's ISA 428 ( $1699 ). It has a total of four pres and is really excellent in the quality of sound it produces. I've used them with bass and electric guitars via the 1/4" jack, and the sound is very warm. Others to consider would be Focusrites Red 8 ( $1799 ) or PreSonus ADL 600 ( $1999 ). The UA would work wonders too.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 PM

hey rockwithrespect,

FWIW, I think it all really depends upon what you want to record and the context in which you'll be using it. Are you looking for something that sounds great and compliments your specific creative style, or are you a studio owner looking for something that sounds great and is very versatile?

Really, the best thing to do is to go to the store an A/B a bunch of different pres and channel strips using a mic or instrument that you're familiar with. See if you can make a recording to take home with some different ones as well. I just bought a new pre the other day so I can vouch for the fact that they really all do sound different, and once you get to a certain level, none of them really sound BAD, it's just that they all have their own character. How will you ever really know what you want unless you hear it? (rhetorical question ) I wrote a pretty detailed summary of my recent expreience shopping for pres here, if you think it might be of interest.

Also, maybe check out the 3D Audio reference CDs, as they make recordings of MANY different preamps using the same mics, program material, etc... This can help give you an idea of particular brands that have the type of sound your looking for, as well as the ones that don't- kind of nice to know before you go to the store to check them out for yourself.

Anyway, good luck and have fun- let us know what you end up getting...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Focusrites Red 8 ( $1799 )
I second to that. Just go for it and never look back. If you still have something to spend after that, then take a look at SPL GoldMike, which is a 2-channel tube preamp.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM

I am looking for a preamp to use on for tracking clients, not necessarily my own stuff. I feel like my setup really lacks something big and tubey, especially for bass and vocals.

I do everything from punk/screamo bands, to folksy acoustic stuff, and a lot of piano rock stype stuff like Something Corporate.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cleanest, quietest pre, but something to inject some character in my records. It will definitely get used on drum overheads, vocals, and bass.

I've had really good experience with the UA 6176, so I figured the 2-610 would be a good choice.

Kyle